Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using a lift from "Full Traction" on their TJ? After doing a little research it looks like this is the most complete and reasonably priced on the market. How does it stack up to the Rubicon Express and Teraflex offerings? I am interested in the 3-4" short arm kits. Any advice?

http://www.full-traction.com/new_page_5.htm

·
Registered
250 Posts
Seriously, you may want to delete this post. Yes, it is a valid question, but it is not approprate for this forum. PBB is about Hardcore Rock Crawling and custom fabication, not bolt on stuff. Not that there is anything wrong with either, this just is the wrong place for your question. Delete the post, search, and learn. Also, JU does have good info on what you are doing, look there.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I agree with FC, this BB is a little more for the hardcore. www.jeepsunlimited.com may provide some better info on a bolt-on kit.

But to answer your question, the Full Traction lift is a nice bolt on arm short arm kit for the money. IMO, I would upgrade to their M.A.S. kit which uses heims at the frame end instead of bushings. They also have a long arm kit in the making which looks tough as nails.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys thanks for the advice! I didn't realize this was a "hardcore" BB? From some of the questions and posts I have read it doesn't appear as much. Believe me I've done plenty of "hardcore" buildups on several diferent types of 4x's from the ground up, I'm no rookie. I do have to start someplace with this TJ, its my first, I usually owed older Cj's, 1960ish. Not owning and building up a TJ I am starting with a "bolt-on" lift as a base and will go from there.

Again thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I am starting with a "bolt-on" lift as a base and will go from there
If it is truly a base, then don't waste the cash on a short-arm lift. The link geometry of the majority of these isn't that good, and the on and off road handling characteristics will leave much to be desired. Looking at the Full-traction kit, I see a few possible problems:
1) The control arms are non-adjustable.
2) bushings instead of orbit-eye, johnny-joint or heim
3) you only get LCA's

My advise would be to reasearch link suspension here and elsewhere, and fabricate your own 4-link or radius arm (long-arm) setup, using the above mentioned joint types. If this is beyond your level of fabrication skill, i would look at the RE longarm setup, or maybe a combination of components. If you insist on staying short-arm, at least get adjustable control arms, you will be glad you did, from what i have seen.

**Disclaimer: I do not, and never will own a TJ. All advise is based on what i have seen work for other people.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Built not bought is the key here!

Hey I really do appreciate the advice! I do have the skill and knowledge to fab my own setup, was trying to git this stocker offroad quickly and do my own fab later as needed. Being a rookie with a TJ I thought I'd ask advice from the big boys! You guys have been there before me and taken your lumps trying to get it right.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
I'd go to JU for this type of question, you get your ass raped around here for asking this. But to give you an answer, if your looking for a long arm kit, full traction is supposed to be releasing one shortly that looks like the best one out yet, I saw all the new ones at sema and and have seen RE, but it looks like FT is the better one of the bunch.

·
Registered
250 Posts
if your looking for a long arm kit, full traction is supposed to be releasing one shortly that looks like the best one out yet, I saw all the new ones at sema and and have seen RE, but it looks like FT is the better one of the bunch.
The design is good, Fab looks questionable. Here is the linkFT long arm The rear mount for the upper A-frame looks like shit. IF it was welded on, it would be fine, but bolt- on shit on axle housings don't get it. Also, as it is a 4-link front with long links, clearance will blow. Also, what joint at the rear of the a-frame? Ball Joint?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I like the 3 link rear of the FT kit. That seems to be the new wave of bolt on kits. I don't really care for the heim joints though, my experience with heims has been that they wear out too quickly. I prefer cartridge style joints.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts