Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so here's the question, could you or has anybody tried using the stock tj coils and control arms on thier rig or would you stick with leafs. i'm just about to tear mine down and put toy axles and a 1600 8v in it. oh yeah, how well does the tracker power steering work out for the sami. as it turns out i got a late christmas present when i picked up a slightly damaged 91 tracker for 500 bones, i should be able to sell off the other parts for more than that. any info is apreciated.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
You've been here since March and you don't know to search first?:flipoff2:

·
Registered
18 Posts
dont know bout tj arms but a many years ago looked at convertin to coils using 4runner control arms was going to make 4 link with panhard rods and a torque bar but bought factory coiler instead

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm going to take a look at some tj arms on the weekend to see if they are long enough or can maybe be sleeved and made longer

·
Registered
455 Posts
The stock TJ arms don't have a lot of room for flex. If the stock arms look do-able...I'd work with a set of aftermarket ones designed for more flex.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Stock TJ arms are too short...already looked at it. the coils work well though. I saw one rig that flexed well witht them, it rode like it was on air as well. Used the rear coils up front, hooked to the axle and the bumpstop. he used the fronts in the rear under the frame arch.

Kinda booty fab, but it worked very well, and it even sat level.

He just made up some links usinf rod ends and some .25" 1.5 dia DOM

Like I said a bit of booty fab, but it worked well.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I wouldnt design/fabricate anything around tj/aerostar/any other JY spring. You will do all of that work and if you want to change the spring rates your screwed. I would use one of the many stock car coils (afco etc.) out there and give yourself the freedom to inexpensively change the rate and length.

If TJ links were any good I doubt that every TJ guy would be moving to aftermarket long arm kits.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Well there is some choice on length and spring rate for TJ coils
by using aftermarket springs.I suspect that there might also be
two diferent factory springs for 4 and 6 cylinder Wranglers.
Nothing like the range available from Afco though.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
ill be using a factory front tj coil on my sami front and back. in the rear all you half to do is set them inbound a little. the front ill probly end up going with a lifted re spring though. good luck.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys , all good info. i'm still on the fence between coils and leafs. one of the only things holding me back is fabbing up the arms and going though inspection. ok thats 2 things.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Don't know about the whole coil thing, but I have a lwb with 87 Jeep Grand Wagoneer springs on it all the way around, works great! Fronts are 10.5" longer than stock, and the rears are 17" longer! I added 6" to the front of the frame and got creative with the mounts, but no biggie, works better than a buddies swb with YJs on it! And it rides soooo good! Definitely not like a zuk at all!

·
Registered
187 Posts
ahhh don't waste all that time trying to figure it out. just order up shaffer's coil conversion and have them make it to the wheelbase you want. they've already done all the R&D. money well spent IMO.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
perhaps you could just cut a check to them then and have the kit sent to my house, better yet with all your money maybe you could fly to my part of the world with all of the parts in hand and 24 hrs later i could just drive away with everything ready to go. if that doesn't work for you maybe you could predict the lotto numbers for me and save yourself all the trouble. either way beans are more of a problem than brains.

·
Registered
187 Posts
geesh :rolleyes: , it's just that time is money and I wanted to give you an idea for an alternative that is readily available that may save you lots of it.

·
Banned
147 Posts
Time is money, but if you have nothing to do and like to work then it is not costing you anything.

I know someone who has done a Sami on TJ and windstar coils and it worked great. It will flex a 900 ( and that is after he took some flex out of it) and is not as willing to roll over as you might expect.

I am currently in the process of doing a similar setup to his on my samurai. I am planning on makeing it a bit more tame for the street though. I will let you know how it turns out. It should be done here soon. The only think holding me back is budget. I still need a front toy axle and a few other small odds and ends.

-Steve

1 - 16 of 16 Posts