Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to make my own beefy tie rod. I am wanting to by some weld on ends with the same thread as factory jeep tie rod. I use the jeep 80% on and 20% offroad so I don't want something crazy. All I need to know is what size threads come on the tie rod. If you have another way of doing a Heavy duty steering without buying a kit let me know, I like the experience.

·
Registered
14,025 Posts
A unit off of a Grand Cherokee is a cheap HD alternative.

·
Registered
355 Posts
one ton chevy threads are 7/8 - 18 R&L

stock units are 3/4 - 16 i believe, you might want to double check...

since you are already buying the inserts, just go one ton! they last a whole hell of a lot longer and all you need to do is drill and taper the holes. which is alot easier than you may think.
ballistic fab offers multiple insert sizes for different size tube.
http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/

some info:
http://www.wheelingarizona.com/tech/Hydro_info/DIY_Steeringlinks.htm

make sure to drill a couple holes in the tube where the insert goes in for rosette welds along with welding them on the seam, they like to twist the welds lose sometimes...

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
61 Posts
3/4-20 is the bigger units I run on my HD tie rod I run. It was made from some DOM tubing and we just tapped the ends. You can get any machine shop to tap the ends, one side with a right hand thread and the other with a left hand one.

I find if you run 7/8 inch TRE's and still use stock backspacing the TRE will run on the wheel. I am just going by what I have seen in the club.

The TRE's are from the dealer as they are from a dodge (ramcharger) model year is around 1986.

I think the stock ones are 7/16-18?

Id give you the part numbers but I can't find them currently.Sorry

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
That sounds like a plan. Did you leave the link from your box to the passenger wheel alone and install the new one from driver wheel to the other link.

That how I was planning on doing it. I looked at a couple others and they welded a gusset to the other link where the TRE went through it. Does that sound ok?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts