Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for any info to help with a LT1 Auto swap in to 1997 Tj with 4cyl, has anybody seen a write up any were on this.
I have complete 1994 caprice for donner.
R/T

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
There are alot of helpful people over on the www.lt1tech.com board. I remember seeing a few people on this board running them. Can't remember who...sorry. Cool swap, I should be finishing up my 5.0HO swap into my 97 4cyl. TJ this week.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Two words:
Advance Adapters.
They will have EVERYTHING you need, great tech support and easy how-to's
Call them on Monday.
PS I like the Caprice motors better, Iron Heads, 20HP less but much better reliability in high heat applications
:D

·
Registered
527 Posts
For those doing a V8s wap into a TJ, do you plan on using the guages in the the stock instrument panel? How are you gonna make that happen? My understanding is that the gauges basically get their info from the OEM computer which receives it from the sensors. So with no OEM computer, how does it work?

KPJ, are you gonna do a write up?

·
Registered
198 Posts
jgarden1 said:
For those doing a V8s wap into a TJ, do you plan on using the guages in the the stock instrument panel? How are you gonna make that happen? My understanding is that the gauges basically get their info from the OEM computer which receives it from the sensors. So with no OEM computer, how does it work?

KPJ, are you gonna do a write up?
I put a 5.0HO out of a mustang in my TJ and using mech gauges. I don't think you'll be able to get the stock guages to work because of the buss system that the TJs use.
However, my friend got a 5.2 put into his TJ by emsoffroad, www.emsoffroad.com and Eric got the stock guages to work in that. I think tis mostly because the engien was out of a durango and similar buss systems are used. Don't quote me on that though
Josh

·
Registered
527 Posts
jeepin5.0, that was pretty much what I was thinking. If you are gonna do a conversion other than a Chrysler engine then you are pretty much gonna have a dead OEM instrument panel. What about the speedometer and tach? I think those are also part of the "buss" system (that 2 wire deal)?

Is there anybody who has made the OEM TJ gauges work with an other than Chrysler engine?

·
Registered
417 Posts
DIdnt know TJs had their Speedo wired through the ECM.
You could try keeping the LT-1 ECM, (94'), and send it off to Ed wright.
for a gew hundred he can make that box do anything you want.
I Take it your areent going to try and smog on this?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Don't know if it makes much difference or not, but I remember a guy named harold (email: [email protected] ) that dropped an LS1 into his TJ. He's a pretty friendly fellow, and would probably remember all the details from his work a couple years ago.

I replaced all my gauges with mechanical ones in my 5.0 swap.

Bob

·
Registered
527 Posts
FWIW, it might be possible to leave the OEM chrysler computer in place with power and then use the chrysler sending units in the new engine. Basically leave ECM solely to power up and actuate the OEM gauges - kind of like a stand alone system. Not sure if it will work, but worth a try, if you don't want to start messing with a custom dash. But if one can do an LS1 or LT1 swap the dash work shouldn't be too challenging.

·
Registered
533 Posts
jgarden1 said:
FWIW, it might be possible to leave the OEM chrysler computer in place with power and then use the chrysler sending units in the new engine. Basically leave ECM solely to power up and actuate the OEM gauges - kind of like a stand alone system. Not sure if it will work, but worth a try, if you don't want to start messing with a custom dash. But if one can do an LS1 or LT1 swap the dash work shouldn't be too challenging.

I know of at least 3 Jeep TJ's in Oxford Mississippi that have SBC V-8's and the stock instrument cluster works. If I am not mistaken they left the stock computer there just for the instruments.

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
Yes, you have to leave the stock computer in to make the gauges work and use the stock motor's sensor's. I had some of my gauges working when I first started powering up the 5.0 in the TJ and have since decided to go with mechanical gauges to clean up the engine compartment a little. :) I still am unsure on making the speedo work and the tach work with the V8 and EB20 tcase, but I will just buy some autometer gauges and call it good.

Ken

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
I have put an LT1 - V8 out of a '95 Impala SS in my 4Runner (I know, it's not a jeep). Dana @ LT1wiring was able to modify the lt1 harness to make it a simple 10 wire hookup for me. Cost was around $250. I ran into a lot of little problems with the install but it is finally good to go. I recommend using a Cherokee preasure bottle to replace the GM one & reusing the stock manifolds (they totally clear the steering). Pay careful attention to the radiator you buy, LT1's are reverse flow. I run the AA bellhousing to an AX-15. Surprisingly strong transmission. I do reverse wheelies in 4wd and it doesn't pop.

P.S. I thought I got a good deal on the engine- $400. I think it cost about 10k once I was done. That includes the HP 35 spline 4340 Dana 60, and the 35 spline Strange 9" it took to take the torque that motor makes. 345 ft/lbs @ 2400 rpm.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts