Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please don't flame me if this is too newb or not hardcore with what I am trying to do, I did search by the way:D

I have acquired a 98 TJ that I promptly ripped the "half a motor" 4 cyl out of. I have a GM crate motor with a Howell TBI system that I want to swap in. Now I know the only way (from what I have read) to keep the factory dash is to keep the factory computer. No big deal, Autometer Phantoms will look nicer anyway!

My main concern are the airbags. Sadly, and don't flame me for this, I would like to keep them as the rig will see street use quite a bit with the wife driving and I would like to have that added safety. Hardcore, no, safer, yes.

So my question is, are there any ways to delete the factory computer and keep the airbags working? Second, has anyone experimented with adding a "cut off switch" that shuts down the airbag sensors when offroad?

Please don't flame me on this one, just trying to build the best dual puprose rig:D

·
Registered
845 Posts
just take the power away from the airbag computer, which i bet it has a different computer than the ecu...then give it power back, and your good...i used to just pull fuses, had a airbag light on, but the fuse back in and your good light turns off....

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I had read in some threads that the Airbags work off the motor's ecu which made no sense to me what so ever. I will try and see if I can find a seperate computer. Thanks again!

·
Registered
31 Posts
FSM info

It appears in the 98 that the Airbag control computer is seperate of the engine computer. You may need to rig up a dummy light LED on your dash to keep it happy. As for trouble shooting and using an OBD II scanner and "clearing" codes, that maybe more difficult. Depending on whether the code is stored in the engine computer or the ACM will depend on whether or not this is a concern. I will paraphrase from my 98 TJ FSM.

AIRBAG CONTROL MODULE (ACM)
The ACM contains the Impact Sensor, and a microprocessor that monitors the impact sensor and the electrical airbag system to determine system readiness. The ACM contains On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) and will send a message upon fault to illuminate an airbab lamp on the dash via the Chrysler Collision Detection data bus. The ACM also has an energy storage capacitor which will allow the deployment of the airbag within one second of a battery disconnect and a collision.

IMPACT SENSOR
The Impact Sensor provides info to the ACM on the direction and severity of impact. One Impact Sensor is used. It is located inside the ACM, which is located inside the vehicle on the transmission tunnel.

CLOCK SPRING
When the steering wheel turns left and right this spring winds and unwinds providing electrical connectivity to the Airbag and horn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts