Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they exactly the same? Wiring and all. If I pull a 4 cyl out of a ~95 or newer XJ will it go straight into my TJ? Use the same computer and everything?

I'm trying to just get it running so I can actually go offroad for the first time in a long while. Then I can get parts together for a real swap later this summer.

TIA

·
Registered
554 Posts
bburris said:

you say no, why not?

I need to know if I can just pull the engine out of an XJ and swap it in place of the blown one that's in my TJ...
The computer issue. The OBD 1 and the OBD2 are 2 different things in the wireing department. Besides the older 4 bangers are not even close on the power of the newer ones that were introduced in 96 on the TJ. It's easyer to put the same engine or newer, but going backwards in technology on engine swaps can be a big pain in the ass. ;)

·
Registered
554 Posts
I not sure, I think they went something different in the tranny department also in the newer jeeps. It probably can be done, but your going to need a buddy thats a Crysler tech to help you out.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the reason I said this in the original post.

If I pull a 4 cyl out of a ~95 or newer XJ.....
I guess it would post 96 to be OBD2, but either way, my query was whether or not I could take an OBD2 engine out of a Cherokee and swap it into my OBD2 TJ.

·
Registered
554 Posts
If your going the same year or newer I dont see why not, the only screwy thing I could see happen is you might have to change over a sending unit sencer or something. You also going to do the usuale things like changing over brackets for accesories like alt., pwr steering ect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts