Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I currently have a 01 Monster T thats been ridden a bit. One of my buddies just acquired a 03 junior T, but he absolutely loves the Monster T. He's offering a straight up trade, since my bike weighs around 50, the junior T would take a bunch of weight off, I'd also assume that it'd make the bb7 handle a bit more like it was intended since it's normally spec'd with a boxxer. Mind you, this is the junir T that has the 7 inch travel, the 32 mm stanchions, the strengthened crowns, and the intedrated stem. If i went through with this trade I'd be also trading my Sun Singlewide rim laced to a onyx hub with 14 gauge DT spokes, for a sun Singletrack laced to a new QR20 hub with 14 gauge Dt spokes. I'd also be not needing my 90 mm Thomson stem which is brand spankin new. So whats the advice guys. If you had a well worn Monster T and someone offered to trade that for a brand new Junior T, would you go for it????

-Ian

·
Registered
759 Posts
I think it would be a good deal. But keep in mind the monster T is made for going huge, if thats what you plan on doing stay with the monster. The new junior Ts are sweet. The front wheel is super strong as well. If you want to make your bike a bit more race ready I would go for it. The resale $$ on the 01 monsters is around 400-550 depending on condition. At least thats what I have seen 'em go for.

·
Registered
432 Posts
What slug said! I had a 02 Junior T, with the regular axle. You'll definitely want one with a QR20, which I see that you are getting. They are GREAT forks! The Monster is awesome too, but as slug said, it's just made for heavier stuff. I read somewhere that the Junior was actually as light, if not lighter than the Boxxer? That's pretty mad, considering the Boxxer is a race fork. Why would you not need the stem? I'd say fork and wheel trade only ;)

I loved the Junior while I had it, but it broke my bike. Soooo plush, soo much travel. I'm lightweight (less than 150 lbs) and I got nowhere close to bottoming it, but I don't do big stuff. It's a great freeride fork, and I think it's light enough for racing. It just lacks the external adjustments I guess?

IMHO, I'd do it, but that's because I'm not extreme and I'd have a big problem lugging around a 9lb fork :flipoff2:

Btw, sorry I never got back to you. I'd be down with headin to Mount Diablo some day, but I just don't have the time during the school year :( How is the riding out there?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, that certainly helps with what I had planned, I'm probably going to do the swap. I'd have no need for a stem since the junior T now has an integrated stem. I'm not really into super hardcore drops or nuthin so the monster is actually a bit too much meat for me.

Sirachi, it's cool man, the riding out at Diablo is good, but Las Trampas is even better. We're eventually gonna build some new trails up there too, or at least fix up some of the old ones. But yea, lemme know this summer when you can ride, I'd be down anytime.

-Ian

·
Registered
759 Posts
just thought I would state that I saw a 2000 monster T just rebuilt by marz for sale today for 400, local...........food for thought;)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Ian,

I know you don't need that stem anymore... but I'd sell it seperately. (I'm poor, so I don't like to give things away - poor meaning, cheap :flipoff2:)

Post some pics when you're through! You're going to love that Junior.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its cool sirachi, Yea, I think that I'll like it a lot. I'm gonna do one last ride on the monster, sorta say goodbye to it and to see if theres any reason to keep it other than the 38mm stanchions and endless plushness. Hmmmm, just a thought, now I can do my last ride with it to see just how much I can kill it myself before I pass it on, the guy I'm considering the trade with is one of my good buddies so he'll be along for the fun too, prolly with his Dorado equipped gt Dhi or the Joker with the Junior. Either way it'll be a sick day, dh runs at Briones, don't get much better.

-Ian

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
i have an 01 Jr T on my freeride hardtail (24 Le Toy III) and i would love to have either of the forks you mentioned. I'd say it's probably a good trade for both of you, it all depends on how you value plushness vs. weight. btw my bike is for sale if anyone's lookin for a badass urban machine.

-Steve

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sirachi, the Berkeley trail is pretty much a shuttle, just gotta have two trucks or so. The Briones trail is about an hour walk up but it is definately worth it. I just swapped the fork on yesterday, looks nice, I dig it. Hopefully get in a test ride next Friday morning if anyone would like to join me. I think I'll be rolling with my buddy jimbo, the guy I swapped forks with. Saved me a ton of weight, the only possible gripe is that since I'm a pretty big guy I might need stiffer springs but thats no real biggee. Offroadr I wish i could afford a Le Toy, those are pretty sick hardtails, why you gettin rid of it??

-Ian

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Slug, as for riding , I think Wednesday will be a Berkeley shuttle run day, We'll hopefully have two other guys along, both fawkin incredible riders, and Frieday will either be Berkeley or Briones in Concord/Pleasant Hill. You're more than welcome to come along, We'd probably be going around 9 or 10 in the morning. e-mail me if you're interested still. [email protected] is my addy. Oh, by the way, anyone know what stock springs come in the Junior T's. Fork feels great but just a tad soft, I wanna stiffin it up a little bit.

-Ian

·
Registered
432 Posts
ianbike said:
Oh, by the way, anyone know what stock springs come in the Junior T's. Fork feels great but just a tad soft, I wanna stiffin it up a little bit.

-Ian
Ian, I don't have any idea what springs they are, but I'm fairly certain that Marzocchi fits the majority of their forks (at least freeride/dirt jumping) for riders that are 160-180 lbs. I'm 140 lbs, and my 02 Junior wouldn't come close to bottoming. I had a guy that weighed 180 try and bottom it too, and he came close, but no go. Same goes for my 02 DJ1.

Best bet is to get to Mazi's tech support. I hear they're all a nice crew. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Oh, and you probably know this already, but I'll throw it in. I don't think adding heavier weight oil helps much. I was tryin to make a 99 z3 stiffer by throwing in heavier weight oil, but it only made a small difference. Best is to go for the springs, and I guess oil is for fine tuning?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea I know about the oil, I put heavy oil in my 00 z3, and just got a louder sucking noise and slower rebound. But i put the heavier springs in and it felt amazing. I'll prolly put in the next level of springs since I weighabout 190, I'm at the phaze where I'm just a little big for the spring in it now.

-Ian

1 - 14 of 14 Posts