Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a topic on the general board but I want to know what you guys think of running 38's with the 16 valve motor? What is the top speed you reach with 38's and what drive/power train are you using? I'm hoping to go in the 60-70 range. Thanks
erik

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My problem is that I am running dual toy divorced cases so I don't have the 1.409 high range in the t-case. Thus with running 5.29 in the axles I don't think I am going to be low enough. Any suggestions? I'm also pondering using the 2wd auto trans from a tracker or sidekick.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I've got the 1.3EFI, and I can push it to 45/50 in 3rd, with dual toys/35" MTR's. Anything past that, well, I don't want to know - it starts to death wobble, which means I've got work to do on the front end.

So mine's a trailer queen.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I'd guess you are going to be hurting to keep up with traffic with that set up. it will probably get up to speed eventually, but only on flat ground. We have a 16 valve, 4.89s and 4.62s with just 33" tires and it gets up to speed OK, but is not a power house at highway speeds. Maybe a bit better than a stocker with a 1300 mil and little tires.

With different gearing that same Samurai went over 100 mph, GPS confirmed. My VW powered Samurai also topped 100 MPH. No idea what the Eclipse motor will give me, but at over 3 times the stock horsepower, and a higher red line I'll let you guess.

You will probably be fine for running around town, and running up to the trail head, but would not suggest it for a daily commuter vehicle.

Hope that helps.

-Wayne

4G63-turbo, W56, Toy twins, toy axles, 37" MTRs.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
IM SCEERED i wouldnt drive my zook 100 mph even if i would go thst fast.i just dont think they are suposed to:eek:

·
Registered
343 Posts
i'm running 38's but:

i run 38.5x14.5 sx swampers, but i also run a vortec 4.3 with a 700r4 auto with 4.88 gears and toyota case. i don't have a problem going that fast, my problem is finding GOOD, ROUND 38" tires. getting round and then balancing 38's on a samurai that weighes in around 3000lb with mild modes (mine is up to 3600 with all my spare parts, tools, gear, etc.) is not easy. then complicate it with bead lock wheels, bent tie rods, you are just asking for the old "death wobble"

good luck though. with a little effort you'll get it. i'm actually thinking about having my tires "trued" or shaved.

bryan

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
rotozuk said:

With different gearing that same Samurai went over 100 mph, GPS confirmed. My VW powered Samurai also topped 100 MPH.

-Wayne

4G63-turbo, W56, Toy twins, toy axles, 37" MTRs.
Dude....... yer fawkin brave.:smokin:

·
Registered
600 Posts
100 mph in a sammi is just wrong sick and should be outlawed LOL...i did 86mph FULL warp speed in mine at 6800rpm and i knew i was venturing into places where i didnt belong, I was starting to understand what scotty meant when he told kirk "captain she's breaking up".....a zuk maybe built to do alot of things crawl, mud etc. but go fast...nnnnnnn NO! you wana go fast in a zuk get jesse james's monster garage to build ya one that would be and episode i wouldnt want to miss...i will be setting the pace in the slow lane !thanks

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
kd7srj said:
100 mph in a sammi is just wrong sick and should be outlawed LOL...i did 86mph FULL warp speed in mine at 6800rpm and i knew i was venturing into places where i didnt belong, I was starting to understand what scotty meant when he told kirk "captain she's breaking up".....a zuk maybe built to do alot of things crawl, mud etc. but go fast...nnnnnnn NO! you wana go fast in a zuk get jesse james's monster garage to build ya one that would be and episode i wouldnt want to miss...i will be setting the pace in the slow lane !thanks
i know thats right .crazy fawker:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So has anyone had any dealings with the 3 speed auto? Any oiling problems with the valve body at angles and such? what is the reliability. thanks
erik

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
ECF said:
So has anyone had any dealings with the 3 speed auto? Any oiling problems with the valve body at angles and such? what is the reliability. thanks
erik
We had one in my Tracker.. Pulled it out and popped in the 5 speed. Much happier now. I suggest you do not put a automatic behind that 16 valve. You will take all of the fun out of that little rice engine. They are a hoot with a 5 speed.

By the way, the Tracker was reved out at highway speeds bone stock. with the 5 speed, and the 4.62 gears in the R&P from the auto, I have great highway speed in the Tracker now. I cruise with the traffic with no trouble at all at 3,500 RPM. The same speed with the 3 speed auto was about 4,500 as I recall.

100 mph in a Samurai that is set up well is not an issue on a good road. Pretty much everything was fresh on the vehicle, and I have never had death wobbles and the such. But yeah, you know you are going fast in a Samurai. I'm looking forward to getting some 1/4 mile times in the new set up. Should be breaking 100 mph in the 1/4. But I am not sure my new suspension will allow me to do such things. :( Seems my Toyota packs I am running inset in the rear are only about 130 lbs/in!!

-Wayne

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
You guys must be running premium.

I've got the 1.3 - 31's and it tops out at about 70 to 75.
The speedo doesn't work so I'm guessing.

·
Fabster
2,529 Posts
Rotozuk is smoking some good crack if he thinks that you can make a box like a sammy go that fast with a 1.6L. I have driven homda crx's with 1.6s and they only go about 110mph with theyer little tires and airodinamic bodies. And the idea of 100mph in the quater is a pipe dream too.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Randy said:
Rotozuk is smoking some good crack if he thinks that you can make a box like a sammy go that fast with a 1.6L. I have driven homda crx's with 1.6s and they only go about 110mph with theyer little tires and airodinamic bodies. And the idea of 100mph in the quater is a pipe dream too.:flipoff2:
1600 16-valve GRS2, 3.73s and 31" tires did over 100 mph. It took a while to get there, but it could do it. The gearing is so low now that it can not.

My Samurai has over 200 hp, so I think a 100 mph 1/4 may be obtainable. Time will tell.

-Wayne

·
Registered
600 Posts
doing 100mph in the 1/4 mile would mean faster than 13's by far... i am sorry dude it's not gonna happen no matter what tires you are going to run, even in the all wheel drive car you are getting the motor out of, would only do 14's @sea-level with all 4 tires gripping the road sooo to think its gonna go faster in a vehicle that is about as aerodynamic as a school bus, weighs more with crude gearing is purely nothing but a pipe dream...sorry i call b.s. you are best to stick to the rocks (climbing em and not smoking em) and be sure to get a better roll bar so you bump yer head any worse that you allready have....:p

1 - 20 of 28 Posts