Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well i'm building a chevy V8 powered YJ on tons. (i know so is everybody else!) right now it's a roller with XJ springs up front and waggys in back SOA at all 4 corners. the rear sits WAY higher than the front.. even without the engine weight the rear is like 3" higher. so i''ve been tossing around the idea of doing a 103" wheelbase with XJ springs out back too but i'm not 100% sure i wanna comp cut my tub. what are the pros and cons of a comp cut tub and a 103" wheelbase as compared to the 99.5" wheelbase i have right now? how badly is the turning radius effected? this jeep will be built for basically an all around rig. so rocks, trails, woods, and maybe even some mud.. oh and hill climbs... some pretty steep ones. i'm close to the badlands offroad park in attica IN, and i also go to haspin acres in laurel, IN if any hoosiers chime in they probably know the terrian in these areas.. i know the longer wheelbase will help with driveline angle OR provide space for a doubler later on. and that the departure angle will be much better also.. if i remember correctly 103 is the same wheelbase as a scambler

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Do the comp cut and the rear stretch. The extra wheelbase really helps when climbing hills. Im at 110" and it works great with 38's but cant wait to go to 42's.

What size tires are you running? I would think with tons you would at least be on 37's.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Personally I'm not huge fan of the comp cut but I say get as much wheelbase as you can even if it means cutting the rear tub out ... for steep climbs more wheelbase is always better

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
My rear axle is pushed back 10 inches and I am C.C.'d. I just finalized install of BTF rear fenders and the rear LED's. And I can say, Damn:eek: it actually came out nice:smokin: I am set up for 40 inch tires as well. My overall WB is at 107". But I built it because I wanted the WB. If you don't need/want the WB, then set up a different rear suspension to lower it. Frenching the spring mounts is a thought?

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I'm running waggy's in the back and took out a leaf to lower and soften the ride. Very happy with the outcome on the trails but stuff way to stiff in the sand out here in Cali. I did the comp cut V8 thing myself and love it 111" wb

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do the comp cut and the rear stretch. The extra wheelbase really helps when climbing hills. Im at 110" and it works great with 38's but cant wait to go to 42's.

What size tires are you running? I would think with tons you would at least be on 37's.
38" super swampers til they wear out then i'm gonna shoot for 40's or 42's

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My rear axle is pushed back 10 inches and I am C.C.'d. I just finalized install of BTF rear fenders and the rear LED's. And I can say, Damn:eek: it actually came out nice:smokin: I am set up for 40 inch tires as well. My overall WB is at 107". But I built it because I wanted the WB. If you don't need/want the WB, then set up a different rear suspension to lower it. Frenching the spring mounts is a thought?
i thought about frenching the spring mounts in the back but thats a pain in the ass IMO.. 103" isn't too terribly long..

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i thought about frenching the spring mounts in the back but thats a pain in the ass IMO.. 103" isn't too terribly long..
honestly the only thing holding me back from cutting this tub is that it's solid.. really solid.. no rust at all BUT.. i'm thining i'm just gonna bite the bullet and cut the damn thing..

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
honestly the only thing holding me back from cutting this tub is that it's solid.. really solid.. no rust at all BUT.. i'm thining i'm just gonna bite the bullet and cut the damn thing..
if you like the look of comp cut - DO IT
if you dont care eitherway - DO IT
if you dont like the look of a comp cut - DONT

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I cut mine...xj's in rear. RE 1.5's up front.....my tub was solid also....no rust and its fully rhino lined. Im at 102 inches on 39's and wanna get to about 106 with a front stretch....

·
Registered
850 Posts
comp cuts are great, but i think they ranked up there with SOA suspensions... almost outdated, almost. i am a big fan of stretching the rear opening as far back as possible. here is what i mean... these are on 40s.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
I'm sitting at 108ins on 40's. Do the stretch but only cut as much metal as you need to clear the tires.

Why does everyone feel the need for a v8 before they have a suspension that can handle it?

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have a cj5 that is stretched to about 100 inches via a four link. 42" tires. I am on the east with a lot of trees and tight trails. Of it were much longer, I would have issues making some of the turns on the trails. I would be making three point turns all the time.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I'm sitting at 108ins on 40's. Do the stretch but only cut as much metal as you need to clear the tires.

Why does everyone feel the need for a v8 before they have a suspension that can handle it?
i bought a jeep with no engine. i've got 8 small block chevy's sitting here. i see lot so of people with small block powered jeeps on 1 tons and leaf springs. in fact there are about 30,000 people on this site that have them probably. i don't see what the problem is.
oh and the plan was to cut only what was needed.. i was figuring the cut was gonna get into the back of the jeep with 103" and 38's

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
comp cuts are great, but i think they ranked up there with SOA suspensions... almost outdated, almost. i am a big fan of stretching the rear opening as far back as possible. here is what i mean... these are on 40s.

this is exactly what i'd love to do with mine. i'm just unsure if it will fit

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
i see lot so of people with small block powered jeeps on 1 tons and leaf springs. in fact there are about 30,000 people on this site that have them probably. i don't see what the problem is.
you can definately make it work. It just calls for a very stout traction bar

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
I'm not bagging on your build at all. Yes there are a shit ton on CJ's with v8s on spring overs (I have one). But the reason I swapped was for fuel injection. You bought a jeep with no motor. I would also drop a v8 in it at that point.

I assumed you had 4.0 my bad.:D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts