Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A suburban is already a boat in terms of ideal 4x4 trail size. Taking the idea that the burb wont fit on a number of tight trails, wether it be wheelbase, clearance, or width I might as well make it even bigger.

That said, Do I got with the someone inexpensive 39.5" tires or the substantially more 42" inchers? Pricing is something like 250$ vrs. 340$ new.

Why not 44's? - well, then I gatta change a bunch of drivetrain junk and more suspension.

I am going to trim out whatever amount of room is needed on top of the existing lift. ( lifted around 12" or so )

Anyone have an experience... abiet, Good experiences with bias ply tires? (as there are no large radial ply )

Whatcha all think?

·
Registered
824 Posts
I run 39.5 boggers on my rig and they are plenty big for what i use it for. I had some ground hawgs and they were supposed to be road friendly, but after the boggers warm up they ride good enough for me. I had to trim my fenders quite a bit because i only have around 8" of lift. they still run the inner fenders but all it needs is a little more sawzaw action. however with 12" of left id go with 42s. but price is always the desiding factor...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so besides price... go with 42's. ok.

I am going to do a little measuring today and see what I might have to cut. I am a big believer in keeping your truck within reason lift wise, instead, altering the body to allow for tire travel. Of course each has its caveats, but I like the idea of keeping it on all four wheels. ( or three for that matter )

Anyone ran 42" bias TSL's before... and not just in the dirt? What did they drive like?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
boxxerace said:
I am a big believer in keeping your truck within reason lift wise,...
boxxerace said:
I am going to trim out whatever amount of room is needed on top of the existing lift. ( lifted around 12" or so )
:rolleyes: :D :shaking:

Pete

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
ha ha ...

I guess its a matter of perspective, but good point :D

Actually I just read your truck description, and your not that far off tire size wise, just lift wise... (K5)

the perspective is that the suburbans sag rear end huge and has a little more height (lift wise) than the front. Curious, when you were cutting your fenders and bits, did you end up cutting the wheelwell areas much?

I will be more specific on the lift...

The body was lifted 3" by its former owner, the rear has 5-1/2 blocks ( going away on day ) and a 4" shackle flip. The front has around 8" of lift spring, shackles 1/2" and body lift.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Just my opinion, and my experience,I ran 44" gumbo's, then swampers, then bought boggers, and by far the swampers were the most pavement friendly for around town and then did the best on the trail. Boggers grip like nothing else, but terrible for around town driving. Oh yeah, I have 15" sus lift,3" body(I wish I never installed that) and 2" hidden inches in the frame, and I still smack fenders when wheeling.

My two cents.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How long did your swampers last? running 44's as well?

Its funny that tires like these have inches of tread and yet last-less time than my cars 1/4" tread that has lasted over 100k!

·
Registered
290 Posts
42s

I run TSL 42s with 4" of lift on a CUCV (6.2dsl. d60 front, 14 ff rear, 42s, longbed). They are brutal on the street until they warm up, but after that they are fine. I cut major fender out of the front to clear them and just a little in the rear. My rig suffers from all the same size inconveniences as yours as it has the longbed. I had 36" tsl's before and they were much too small to accomodate the truck. After wheeling with the 42 TSL's, I cannot imagine trying to get it around trails with smaller tires. Go with the 42s. Be patient and wait for a used set to become available. It may take a while, but I have always been able to find a person whoring a set after finding out they were a bit too big or they "weren't good tires for the highway". Seriously, some show and shine dumb ass bought them for his show and shine truck and then sold them to me a month later after finding out they weren't good for commuting. Hmm.. you would figure the massive tread on 42s would suggest that it might not be a good freeway tire. sorry got off track - buy the 42s.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
boxxerace said:
How long did your swampers last? running 44's as well?

Its funny that tires like these have inches of tread and yet last-less time than my cars 1/4" tread that has lasted over 100k!
Its not funny, your cars tires were designed to last 100k, swampers werent designed to be driven on the road much more than to & from the trail. :shaking: Is this a trail rig or a poser truck? What kinda drivetrain do you have to support these big ass tires under a suburban?

·
Registered
909 Posts
I'm running 42's on my 1990 Suburban with 2" of body lift and about 6" of suspension lift. I like the 42's because they're as tall as you can get before you have to run something wider than 15.5".

Here's a link to some of my pics:Sub on 42's

·
Registered
249 Posts
Sorry to go off topic slightly, but...

Hey chvyhs,

Those look like stock Hummer rims on your Sub. Do you have a spacer and if so, how big and where did you get it?
I'm planning on running the same setup on my CUCV and am trying to get all my pieces together.
Thanks,
Dean

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
el ranger loco said:
Its not funny, your cars tires were designed to last 100k, swampers werent designed to be driven on the road much more than to & from the trail. :shaking: Is this a trail rig or a poser truck? What kinda drivetrain do you have to support these big ass tires under a suburban?
I think the question is valid not based so much on intent of where it is or is not going to be driven, but simply on the depth of tread difference and relativity to durometer vrs. life span.

Besides, who knows, maybe I drive on slickrock all day long. In actuallity I live in Seattle (well close anyhow) and because of all the darn houses being built, it takes about a 50 mile trip on the road to get to decent, non-private 4x4 property. :rolleyes:

"trail rig or poser truck"? .... well, eye of the beholder... but it gets a mix of both dirt and street, as a suburban is NOT a rockcrawler by nature, and IS a utility/toy vehicle. Now, if trailering your trail-only-suburban to the trail is your idea of fun....

BTW, the burb has all the standard good bits..., D60, 14 bolt, new 454 MPFI motor, custom 1 ton driveshafts, 205, TH400, etc. as always, long wish list on top of this.

blzn74, redcheetah, chvyhs, tnx for the input and pics of your rigs. Anyone got big blazer/burb pics, now that tire size has been settled? :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts