Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a used 4 cyclinder third with 529 gears and spool and checked backlash, it is 20 thousandths when it should be about 6 or 7 thousandths. Good patterns on drive and coast. The guy I had check it out said to run it this way because if he tightens the backlash it will make the gears loud now that they are broken in. :confused: Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
i changed the backlash on my 3rds after they were run in, i didnt notice any new noises, but thats not to say it wont happen.
if it were me id crank it down where it should be.

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
I believe stock back lash is right around 11 thousanths, and the guy who sets up my diffs usually sets diffs to around 6 or 7 thousanths. I would have your gear setter tighten the backlash up regardless of noise.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Get a dial indicator and tighten up the back lash.
I do not loosen the 4 cap bolts. Just remove the adjusting wheel retainer lock tabs and turn the wheels with a spanner wrench as required.

If you do not have a spanner wrench, you can make one by using an old clutch fork and welding two 8x1.25 mm bolts to the face of the fork where it would contact the release bearing.
Then insert the bolts into the side of the adjusting wheels and tighten it up.

Remember to always adjust the carrier in a way that when you are done, there is preload on the bearings. This will prevent the ring gear teeth from beaking as a result of a loose carrier moving back and forth.

Marlin

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Marlin Crawler said:
Get a dial indicator and tighten up the back lash.
I do not loosen the 4 cap bolts.
I didn't know you could move the adjusters without loosening the cap bolts.

Learn something new every day.........

Jay

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
If you set the backlash up right and it howls:
1) It's either very worn (unlikely)
2) Wasn't setup right in the first place - pinion depth.

Check the pattern after changing the backlash.. I'll bet it's off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts