Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's simple... Show up, sit down with the people involved, listen to their take on it, share your views, and get involved.

You wanna know how the SFWDA lawsuit would/should go - one of these meetings would be a good place to find out.

The leadership meeting will be February 6, 2010 at 1000 AM EST. The meeting will be held at the Fairfield Marriott, 1453 N.Mack Smith Rd, East Ridge, TN (south side of Chattanooga). Directions- I-75 exit 1, turn west on Hwy 41, turn right at first traffic light, Marriott will be on your left.

SFWDA 1st Qtr meeting March 6, 2010:

Meeting will begin at 9:00 AM (central time) in Tracy City, Tn/@ the Tracy City Elementary School cafeteria. Address/ 276 3rd street Tracy City, Tn. 37387.
Meeting should run till 11:00 AM at which trail rides in the local area will begin. Trail ride sign -in sheets will be at the meeting. Tow rig parking and trail rides will begin directly behind TCES after the meeting. Trail bosses will be provided by the DamnLocals4x4 Club.
Breckfast will be served at the meeting. The fairground/campground (directly behind TCES) will be open on Fri afternoon (March 5th) for those wanting to arrive early . Primitive camping, no hook-ups. Campers/motor homes welcome. The area will be a secure area to leave campers /tow rigs during the trail rides. More info: Call Benji/Pumpkin ,president,DamnLocals4x4 Club. [email protected]

Direction to meeting : From I-24 in Monteagle Tn., take Hwy/56/41 toward Tracy City (look for brown state park signs)....travel approx 6 miles toward Tracy City. Turn right on 3rd street (at Sequatchie Valley Electrin Cooperative. Travel approx 3/4 mile to Tracy City Elementary School on right. Camping/tow rig parling directly behind school.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Many people cant attend these meetings,for one the locations are along way away for most folks. Instead of having a public meeting at a school,motel...why dont they start a discussion online on thier website so everyone can make suggestions? Its hard to convince people about an organization that they already have negative feelings about. I'm not going to drive for hours to hear the "we need to wait longer but give now" speach.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Work gets in the way again. Is there anything I can do besides being there?
Maybe lunch? Just so they know where the money is coming from?
Hey PM me if you have a idea. For some reason I can not access the Tellico board most of the time.

·
Premium Member
6,945 Posts
I see all points here because I feel they all have weight. Mostly, DRM is right. If you don't want to join in the fight, then shut your mouth. However, I completely understand the meetings and not being able to attend. I'm not proud to say it but I have never been to a SFWDA meeting. Why? Usually the drive gets me. I can't swing a 6 hour drive on a weekend for fun. Sometimes I could I guess but since I-40 has been closed it makes those drives even harder.

There have been discussions on how we can effectively communicate more. We're exploring ideas so that we can get the entire membership involved. Granted, if these ideas come to fruition you'll need to be a member. Simple as that. So I'll come full circle and echo what DRM said, if you want to do something get involved.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm not going to drive for hours to hear the "we need to wait longer but give now" speach.
I try to follow the major 4x4 forums fairly consistently and don't remember a recent donation push. I am curious to know the last time you were urged to give now?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I try to follow the major 4x4 forums fairly consistently and don't remember a recent donation push. I am curious to know the last time you were urged to give now?
You dont have to say it anymore becuse its been said so much,the push is still there.

I never said I wouldn't join the fight and donate cause I already have but if the SFWDA wants nore money from me they will have to earn it with some actions.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see all points here because I feel they all have weight. Mostly, DRM is right. If you don't want to join in the fight, then shut your mouth.
Let me clarify that a bit for you.

I am VERY much against the words I have heard from SFWDA representatives several times, along the lines that if you want xxx done, run for that office or take charge of it yourself.

IMHO - that is a pathetic use of leadership, and is NOT a way to build an effective team.

Someone can have an idea that is good - but that doesn't mean they are suited to be the leader who gets that idea implemented.

However, I am saying that if you intend to criticize, you better step up and be willing to do SOMETHING positive as well, not just sit on your couch and fire off internet postings from the hip.

Personally, I decided last year that if I was going to criticize how SFWDA has handled things, I'd challenge ME to do more positive stuff - such as push here on Pirate to get letters to the Forest Service, or make myself write an article for the TrailMix, or make it to one or more of the SFWDA meetings this coming year.

But I am pretty tired of hearing nothing but criticism from people who aren't willing to put a little effort into doing something POSITIVE to make the situations better. I'll leave that up to each of you to decide what or how you can contribute in a POSITIVE way, and to take a personal inventory of your own approach.

I count 4 quarterly meetings each year, and a leadership meeting... I would think each of us could find the time to make it to at least ONE of those meeting here in 2010.. and stop falling back on excuses why we chose not to. If you can load your rig on a trailer and take an all-day wheeling trip, you CAN make it to an SFWDA meeting... period.

·
Premium Member
6,945 Posts
I fully agree with you. I just put it in simple terms everyone can understand. If you want to complain and not do anything constructive, shut your trap. If you do complain but are willing to push forward and try to help I see that as a healthy type of communication that this organization needs. We need to see what this organization lacks and start putting the needs of our membership first.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I fully agree with you. I just put it in simple terms everyone can understand. If you want to complain and not do anything constructive, shut your trap. If you do complain but are willing to push forward and try to help I see that as a healthy type of communication that this organization needs. We need to see what this organization lacks and start putting the needs of our membership first.
Agreed.

You gonna be there Saturday then? :D

·
Registered
158 Posts
You dont have to say it anymore becuse its been said so much,the push is still there.
Like I said above, unless you can provide me with a concrete example, link to a web site, forum post, etc of a recent request for RT donations I contend that you are mistaken in believing that either the Leadership Meeting or 1st Quarter Meeting will include a "push" or even a request for donations!

To support your assertions we need facts instead of speculation!

·
Premium Member
6,945 Posts
Agreed.

You gonna be there Saturday then? :D
actually, I'm on call this week and I had someone who was going to fill in for me but the weather has turned bad and that planned changed. With I-40 closed it will take me 4+ hours to get there one-way if I can make it through Nantahala Gorge and then down by the Oconee. Looks like it'll have be a job for the A-team (cue music).

However, I've got something I might try to stay informed but you'll know about that later.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Like I said above, unless you can provide me with a concrete example, link to a web site, forum post, etc of a recent request for RT donations I contend that you are mistaken in believing that either the Leadership Meeting or 1st Quarter Meeting will include a "push" or even a request for donations!

To support your assertions we need facts instead of speculation!
Please look on the right of the screen: .http://www.sfwda.org/ ...BTW this is the opening page and I will point out there is nothing about a pending lawsuit displayed anywhere on this site

Oh and here..check post #7: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=857186

and here check post #1 last sentence: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=842082

The push might not be so hard but it is still there and everybody gets the point.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to do some homework! Makes me take you a little more seriously :)

Please look on the right of the screen: .http://www.sfwda.org/ ...BTW this is the opening page and I will point out there is nothing about a pending lawsuit displayed anywhere on this site
I do not see providing an opportunity to donate as a "push" to do so. Every organization with a web presence from Red Cross, to Samaritan's Purse, to Blueribbon Coalition provides an opportunity for those who wish to do so to donate. I do not see that simply providing that opportunity constitutes a "request" or "push" for funds. We may have to agree to disagree on this one! (BTW, I HATE that cliche! Can't believe I just used it :( )

Again, I do not see "an ample opportunity" in the future nor the fact that a legal suit will require, "if and when" filed, as a request for donations. Post #7 did NOT request, suggest or solicit anything, it simply stated two facts about future funding of any legal venture.

This is the last sentence of post #1 in that thread: "Be assured that SFWDA is actively involved in advocating and protecting your interests in this matter and needs your continued support!"

It says nothing about money! SFWDA does need your continued support! Attendance at meetings, letters and calls to your elected representatives, continuing to provide you input to the Forest Service are all ways to continue supporting SFWDA and this land access fight!

IF you were to construe "continued support" in this case to be monetary donations then I might grant you one our of three of your examples, however, again in defense of my contention, that post is over two months old and could hardly be deemed a "push" for funds at this time!

The push might not be so hard but it is still there and everybody gets the point.
We'll just have to disagree on this I guess. I'm not saying there are not opportunities to donate to SFWDA or the Rescue Tellico Fund if one wishes to do so. I'm not saying that there will not be a need for funds to be donated in the future when/if a legal suit is brought.

I am saying that I disagree with your continued assertions and innuendos in your posts that SFWDA or any of the Rescue Tellico Coalition partners are actively soliciting (different than providing an opportunity) donations for a Rescue Tellico lawsuit, "push"ing for donations to SFWDA or the Rescue Tellico Fund, or that they might use said donations in a manner inconsistent with their legal, moral and ethical duty to those who donate.

I am trying to work with you on this. There have been plenty of opportunities for you to step up and actively participate in the Rescue Tellico effort by attending SFWDA meetings, or sending letters or emails to the SFWDA BOD to express your thoughts and ideas. Instead you continue to agitate through this forum. I urge you to reconsider your support of SFWDA and the Rescue Tellico Coalition by donating some of your time, not money, to the fight!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have sent the emails and letters just like everyone else,i just havent been to the SFWDA meetings and I think I have good reason not too.

Just like redneckengineered said "The SFWDA has no presence" and I agree with that. For 2 years I wheeled almost every weekend,all over the southeast and I met alot of people in that time and I never met any of the officers currently with the SFWDA. Theres alot of people that frequent this board that I've never met,K9 crazy,YOU,Alabama toy and I've never met McCracken but I know he wheels at least. I'm just saying there is plenty of opportunities for the SFWDA to do things all over the southeast and they dont, Its all your eggs in one basket.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have sent the emails and letters just like everyone else,i just havent been to the SFWDA meetings and I think I have good reason not too.

Just like redneckengineered said "The SFWDA has no presence" and I agree with that. For 2 years I wheeled almost every weekend,all over the southeast and I met alot of people in that time and I never met any of the officers currently with the SFWDA. Theres alot of people that frequent this board that I've never met,K9 crazy,YOU,Alabama toy and I've never met McCracken but I know he wheels at least. I'm just saying there is plenty of opportunities for the SFWDA to do things all over the southeast and they dont, Its all your eggs in one basket.
SFWDA "officers" consists of less than a dozen people... Are those people supposed to spend their own money to travel around and wheel all of the states in the region wearing bright orange SFWDA jump suits and shaking everyone's hand and kissing babies like politicians?

The more you post, the more I see your views on this matter are entirely out of touch with reality.

·
Premium Member
6,945 Posts

do you go to any of the SFWDA sponsored events? I go to the Dixie Run every year as does all the leadership. There's also Trailfest. Those are the two biggest. I do wheel elsewhere but I don't go flying a Southern flag and shouting at everyone I see how great it is. I like to ride too with my friends and have a good time. I don't feel as if I need to politic everywhere I'm at. If you get a few beers in me at camp I might jump up on a soap box... or so I've heard :emb:

·
Registered
158 Posts
i just havent been to the SFWDA meetings and I think I have good reason not too. Just like redneckengineered said "The SFWDA has no presence" and I agree with that. I'm just saying there is plenty of opportunities for the SFWDA to do things all over the southeast and they dont, Its all your eggs in one basket.
Your opinion, and you're welcome to express it!

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 55 Posts