Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noobie question. When you setup the radius arm crossmember should the radius arms be as close to parallel to the ground as possible? Does this combo flex pretty well? Thanks again!! JUDD

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
I lioke the extension idea. Mike Ladd built a 1/4 ellip rear for my bro with some extended radius arms. his site is www.bentandtwisted.com Ask for Mike Ladd. Yea, they work GREAT< and act like a say bar on the street. You really can't go wrong.

Dmitri

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Yep, I decided to go with the BNT extensions after seeing how well Mike's EB flexed, and saw the extensions in person on your rig - while it was still under construction in his shop.
Good chit, need to reinforce the radius arms though. I'm on my 2nd set of radius arms (just cut off the extensions and welded em on new arms), the first set look like spaghetti. I've since welded a 1x1 angle iron on the top of the arms; oughta give more reinforcement. When the arms are that long they take big hits acting like skids.

Chris

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To those that lengthened the arms, how much did you lengthen them?? Thanks for everyones help!! JUDD

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone converted theirs to wristed radius arms? Advantages/Disadvantages? How did you perform this? Thanks, JUDD

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
go search the ford section on wristing arms I found alot of info there. I have not had a chance to use mine other then around the shop. I flexed it on a bank outside and it flexed fine without a wrist and was stable like i want it to be.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GPN, how much lift are you running on your cherokee? Does the radius arm setup ride better than a steep angled control arm setup like my rubicon express kit does? Are your arms stock length? Thanks for the help! Mean looking jeep!! Judd

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
my arms are now about 39-40 inches. Any long arm will ride better then shortarms. They allow the axle to move more freely instead of forcing it back so harsh like with a shortarm. I have 8 inch coils in the ford buckets so I have 10.5 to 11"s of lift none of those pics were current. I have 38.5s on it with about a 90 degree approach right now.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GPN, how do you feel about wristed radius arms? They look like they provide an insane amount of articulation. Thanks, I really appreciate all your help, JUDD:)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
They do you actually only wrist one side (the passenger side) I don't feel I need to do it I have enough wheel travel Like mine is I prefer stable over long amounts of travel. We wheel some stuff with alot of serious of camber and anywhere from 100 yards to a 1/4 mile roll if you flop over so stable is good.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GPN: Do you have any new pics on the web I could check out? Possibly of your lengthened radius arms? Or the whole jeep. How did you lengthen yours? Thanks again, JUDD

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I sleeved the end of the bolt with some 3/4 schedual 80 turned down on the lathe to fit inside of some old tomken control arms I had. first I full circle and plug welded the S80 to the threaded end then I full circle and plug welded the control arms on. I will go find my pics.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
here is one

here is one of the arm its not bent it just appears that way be cause of the picture quality.

here is one of the flex sort of its not maxed out

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks sweet GPN! I'm definitely going to radius arms. Any frontend pics? Track bar, steering etc? Thanks again, Judd

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks a lot for all the help! Wanna buy a POS D30/35 combo!!! HA HA HA!! Thanks again, JUDD

1 - 20 of 21 Posts