Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking to swap some coils into the back of my 82 short bed. i dont know what size spring and rate i should go with.so i'm here asking for what you've done, how much lift it gives, what you like and what you would change. pics help too. thanks a lot

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
lots of guys are using coils out of an aerostar van, or you could try a search. Hah I finally got to be the first one

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The question is how much lift you want? There's a bunch of different springs you can use. I've seen some use lifted T.J. coils. I think the spring rate you want to look for is between 200 to 250. Aerostar coils are in the 100 to 120 lb range. They won't give much lift at all if any. Check out Rockstomper his Toyota is sprung by Aerostars. Search around to see more pics of it. His truck work's awesome but doesn't have any lift,he just cut his body around the tires.

Here's 616 threads I found with one search for coil springs. Grab a beer and read your eye's off. Try a few different searches worded differently for more results.

coil springs

Here's a good picture of Scott's truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just searched and didnt find anything that really helped me out. i;m just looking for some ideas. i'm gonna want around 8-10 inches of lift and i am starting to look towards some after market jeep / bronco springs. i have no clue what kind ofm spring rate i'm looking for either, i want something soft and flexy, but no too bad if its driven on the road. any ideas?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Yota Krawler said:
i just searched and didnt find anything that really helped me out. i;m just looking for some ideas. i'm gonna want around 8-10 inches of lift and i am starting to look towards some after market jeep / bronco springs. i have no clue what kind ofm spring rate i'm looking for either, i want something soft and flexy, but no too bad if its driven on the road. any ideas?
WHY do you want so much lift? That much lift with Toy axles,in my opinion,would make the truck pretty top heavy. I think most guy's try to shoot for around 4 or 5" of lift and what rubbs the tires then get's the saw treatment. Plus a spring stiff enough to give up to 10" of lift probly won't flex all that great. If you say you searched for threads about coil springs and stuff with nothing. I don't think you really searched cuz that is one topic that is beat to death around here. If I had to guess what two topics are talked about most on Pirate, I would guess suspention related stuff and gearing related topics

Are you really trying to build a mall runner and just trying to hide it.:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

here's more
even more
and more
and yet even more
but then again there's more
and even more

Are you getting the picture yet:p Hope you find a little info in these 6 different searches I did for you that took about 30 seconds to do. Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Go for a set of Rubicon Express 5" lift XJ coils. Perfect for the weight ratio, should be the right height if you mount them under the frame, but I would really suggest against that much lift. That's just retarded. That much lift(let alone being coils) is only going to give your door handles and mirrors a workout-assuming that you're actually trying to build a crawla'.
Not a 'Yoda, but 5.5" XJ coils in front Areostar coils in the rear.

Attachments

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well if u cant tell by now i'm not sure about what EXACTLY i want from a spring, i was mixed up by some unworthy sources, but nyways, i'm pretty sure between like 4-7 inches is what i want, cuz i LOOOOOOOOOVE me a sawzall!!! thanks a lot for the info! keep it coming! pics are awesome!!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm running Areo F&R not sure about the amount of lift? But you can alway build your lift into your spring perch design. Yes I have already fixed the brake line.

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Sorry I only know how to post one pic at a time

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
another

Attachments

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thats nice, thanks for the pics. and you might want to fix that brake line!! :flipoff2: nice truck

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
:D take it from me, i just flopped my rig, KEEP it under 6 in of lift. ten is in the clouds on a toy. unless your track width is around ten feet.:D

·
Registered
801 Posts
Hey TXSE, Do you happen to have any more pics of your flat bed? Or is there a place that has more pics of it, website, PBB thread, etc.??

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
aaron t said:
:D take it from me, i just flopped my rig, KEEP it under 6 in of lift. ten is in the clouds on a toy. unless your track width is around ten feet.:D

i do have a 10 foot track width :flipoff2: :flipoff2: !! thanks for the advice tho... i'm going to give you the advanced credit of keeping me from flopping the first time i go out on coils!! :D

·
Registered
801 Posts
twistedmetal said:

Try his dubba,dubba,dubba, Newbie.;)

Dude that's so cool!:flipoff2:

See my only problem which I guess I did say was... TXSE, do you have pics some where because your website(http://www.geocities.com/baja/3683) didn't come up when I clicked the "www" icon. Geocities gave me an error as if the page didn't exsist, thanks.

twistedmetal, I'm not a total tard...I normaly try the link before I ask....:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
TXSE,
that looks great.

A friend and I just started my 3 link in the rear a few days ago.
I'm going to be running the Aerostar coils (code AA) in the rear. Just have to setup the spring mounts and should be good to go.

Here's some pics.

I hope my final flex is as nice as the ones above. :)

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
that wishbone heim would be better suited to handle the loads it will see with the bolt running vertically. forildo, just tryin to help....

1 - 20 of 55 Posts