Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when im in 4x4 i have no steering. i attribute it to my front locker. theres a guy here who is willing to trade me thirds. 5.29s locked for 5.29s open. i know hed be getting the better end of the deal, but would it be worth it to get my steering back? i would milk some other stuff outta him too.

so what do you guys think? worth it? or would i be an idiot?

·
nice roach.
5,739 Posts
bad idea... save your pennies and do hydro assist

·
Registered
172 Posts
what do you mean you have no steering? Mine is welded and i have no problems at all with just sock box and hy steer.

what kind of locker are you running? and how much off road to road driving do you do?

Just a few questions to actually see what one will benefit you most.
like you said he is obviously getting the better deal.
Trade him thirds plus some cash and get a selectable locker in the front.

just my .02

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
trade the rear third, with the locker and weld one of the open ones:D

but seriously, if you have "no" steering, there is something else you need to be looking for.

·
Registered
14,711 Posts
when im in 4x4 i have no steering. i attribute it to my front locker. theres a guy here who is willing to trade me thirds. 5.29s locked for 5.29s open. i know hed be getting the better end of the deal, but would it be worth it to get my steering back? i would milk some other stuff outta him too.

so what do you guys think? worth it? or would i be an idiot?
why not just get an open carrier (prolly find one free within a couple days), and swap that into your 3rd? then you still have your locker to go back to if you choose. x2 on the hydro assist. mine was $145 to my door with hardware and trail gear axle mount. prolly find a used ram for cheap and buy the fittings and lines from surplus center, costing maybe $100 total? couple ideas...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the input guys.

i already have hydro assist. i do more on road driving right now, but that will change in a couple of months when i move to fort bragg. i just dont think im extreme enough to need the locker up front. i think if i was open and locked in the rear i could go anywhere i wanted to anyway.

to clarify my steering problem, when im not moving i can do whatever i want its when im moving that the truck goes wherever it wants. which is a straight line unless i hit a bump or rut. i can steer barely but it takes all i have to turn only a little bit.

·
Linkoligist...
2,229 Posts
thanks for the input guys.

i already have hydro assist. i do more on road driving right now, but that will change in a couple of months when i move to fort bragg. i just dont think im extreme enough to need the locker up front. i think if i was open and locked in the rear i could go anywhere i wanted to anyway.

to clarify my steering problem, when im not moving i can do whatever i want its when im moving that the truck goes wherever it wants. which is a straight line unless i hit a bump or rut. i can steer barely but it takes all i have to turn only a little bit.
Did you put the hydro assist on?? Or was it on when you bought it??

·
Premium Member
13,751 Posts
Sounds like you need to drill the restrictor and shim the bypass valve in the pump... Problem solved..

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i did not install the hydro assist. it was on there when i bought it.

i took it wheeling yesterday and it did great! the steering wasnt that bad, no really sharp turns really fast and it seems like turning right is harder then turning left, but other than that it was fine.

i want to drill out the restrictor, but i havent had time or access to the shop for a little while.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts