Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This summer i'm looking to go SOA on my fj62. As of now I have OME springs and shackles. I'm just trying to decide wether to use the OME springs or to go back to stock springs. I don't want a damn monster truck on 39" boggers...no offense, just too big for my needs. All I want is to clear 37" Mtrs with room for flex/turning. I plan to run 2" backspaced 15x10s. I was also thinking that I could buy some new 0" lift springs from a company, so I wouldn't have to deal with the tired old springs. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
If you're going to run 10" rims with just a 2" backspacing on the stock axles, with 37's, then you better lift it more than just the SO with stock springs, it's going to rub *big time*.

You can go Alcan customs and get some good springs with low lift, but it's going to add to the cost of the SO.

You can reinforce the stock springs with a couple of extra leaves to add some rigidity and a bit more lift.

You can take a couple of leaves out of the OME springpacks.

You can dearch the OME's.

I'm running a SOA with OME springpacks and short shackles, my truck is tall but not nearly as tall as smtyblt's. Keep in mind my SOA is three years old and the suspension has had time to flex, plus my truck is pretty heavy. If I had an unlimited budget I probably would have gone with custom springs, I think the OME's yield excellent road manners and great articulation but are a tad tall, and the stock springs yield too much body sway for my taste.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Muddogbob, I don't think the OMEs will be too tall. I have the set up you're talking about (about the same as 60Seriesguy). We did remove the shorty over load leaf. Anyway, my heavy OMEs have flatten all by themselves. More so than others, maybe the long range tank, maybe the rollout drawer and constant load, maybe becuase they were a bit sacked before the spring over, maybe wheeling the snot out of them while heavily loaded. Whatever the reason, 37s would not fit without "further modifications" ;)

Why 10-inch rims with 2 inch backspace? I think the 10 inch rim gives extra stability even at normal (3.5 inch) backspacing.

If the timing was right, I'd gladly trade my flat OMEs for some arched ones.:D

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. Why would 10" rims and 2" backspacing be Soooo bad? I though that this would be ideal to put more width under a tall rig. I would rather run 8" rims but that limits the tires that I can run in the future. What would be the ideal setup as far as rims go? 8" w/2" bs? 10" w/3" bs? I'm going to have the rims custom made by rockstomper, so I need to know exactly what to get and you guys are the guys to tell me. What wheel/ tire combo will you guys be running? Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
Just a thought on the wheels... I don't know for sure as I havent looked into it (Yet) but I did not think the MT/R was available in a 37x12.50x15. It is not listed in my catolog (which is suppose to have all of the Goodyears listed) but then again, I know there is a 37x12.50x17 out there so I will have to check with my goodyear rep I guess.

Personally I think I would go for the 17" wheels, this will yield you less sidewall flop which is going to improve your road drivability as a large tire such as this is not designed to run very high p.s.i.

RS9000's help to though.

Just my $.02 worth if you are still thinking of squeezing 37's under that.

·
5,906 Posts
I run 37 MTR on 15x8's 2"BS and love them. It is on a 40 with OME/SOA The stability is fine and I can run them low on road, 12lbs and not worry too much. They have a good sidewall and need to be at around only 25 to contact the width of the tread. On a 10 they might need to be a little higher.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with running 37x12.5R15 MT/R's on 10" wide rims with a 2" backspacing. From a stability point of view, it's going to give you a pretty nice stance and help offset the increased height. My objection was based on the fact that if you do a SO with stock springs, that combination of tire/rim is going to rub on the inside fenders, at that point you'd have to consider additional height, or get, like Jim suggested, standard 3.5" backspacing on the 10" rims so the tires clear the inside fender at full articulation.

I too think that if you're going all custom rims, I'd go with a 17" rim; the 37's are all special order anyway so it's not a tire that most tire shops will keep in inventory (except for places like tire rack), so there's no inherent benefit to the 15" rims, and the 17" rims will be more stable and offer less side wobble. With a big wagon on off-camber stuff, this is going to be money!

·
Registered
896 Posts
Why would 10" rims and 2" backspacing be Soooo bad?
My thought was spacers and/or less backspacing with big heavy tires increases forces on the hub/steering and could adveresely effect reliability.

Not that it can't be done or the strength/reliability issues can't be addressed. Maybe toss in some Longfields and hydraulic assist?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the input guys. I'm thinking a good rim would be a 17"x8" w/ 2"-2.5" backspacing using OME springs SOA and 37" mtrs. How does that sound?

Will 2" backspacing really be that hard on my junk? When I do the SOA i'm going to do 4.88s and new bearings/seals and ARBs. I'm also planning on getting a set of Longfields. The last thing I want to do is make the rig unrelaible in any way. This rig will driven daily. Thanks agian.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts