Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sawzall time. :D

If all goes according to plan we're going to Hot Springs this weekend. I watched John Butler tear open his gas tank on "Rock & A Hard Place"... and it got me thinking about this... so I'm lifting my gas tank 5 inches, so it's higher than the frame rail.

Here's a couple before pictures: The tank and skidplate have both been punched in already:

Attachments

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Step one was dropping the gas tank. Not a hard task, normally... except my tank is over half full right now. :rolleyes:

Anyway, here's what's left after the tank came down. Green lines = 4Runner original tank mounts. Blue I **THINK** is the pickup mount?

The red is where the tank will be mounted when I'm done. The rear mount is simply going to get cut and welded back together... I'll have to build a little angle-iron raised mount off the top of the horse-collar crossmember for the front of the tank:

Attachments

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since I want it waaay up there, and don't want to worry about dropping it again because I didn't get enough cut eventually, I'm cutting the crap out of the floor and rear seat locations. They'll get boxed in with sheetmetal after this ride when I get time...

Attachments

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The passenger-head rest cam. Note the rear mount right below the end of the cut... this is the last one for now. I gotta go out there and blow myself up with the welder. BRB... I hope. :flipoff2:

Attachments

·
Man Child
24,725 Posts
You might want to think about stopping by the car wash before starting these projects.... :flipoff2:

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Priest said:
You might want to think about stopping by the car wash before starting these projects.... :flipoff2:
The sawzall shakes the mud off. :confused:

...actually, that's what my rig looks like after 4 hours with the pressure washer. The mud was literally 3 inches thick in the floorboards. I should have taken a picture of the interior before I cleaned it for you jackasses. Mud was up to the bottoms of the front seats.

I need to move out west. :(

·
Man Child
24,725 Posts
TNToy said:
The sawzall shakes the mud off. :confused:

...actually, that's what my rig looks like after 4 hours with the pressure washer. The mud was literally 3 inches thick in the floorboards. I should have taken a picture of the interior before I cleaned it for you jackasses. Mud was up to the bottoms of the front seats.

I need to move out west. :(

I fawking hate mud.

·
Man Child
24,725 Posts
TNToy said:

Wait a sec... aren't you the guy that made a mental note not to mock me.... I travel for work all the time and ocassionaly hit TN.

:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Priest said:
Wait a sec... aren't you the guy that made a mental note not to mock me.... I travel for work all the time and ocassionaly hit TN.
you weren't supposed to see that.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Lookin good :smokin:

I always like reading your write ups. Never skimp on the pics :cool:

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I plan on making a .250-wall one made when I get back, because I'm pretty sure I"m going to be needing a driveshaft made when I get back. :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts