Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of wiring up the dash. Bought three toggle switches. One switch for dash lights. The other for functioning the gauges themselves. The third is for in case I ever want to add anything later.

First switch, the actual lever you press with your finger snaps off.

Second switch, breaks in two as I'm tightening the screws for the wires.

Third switch, breaks into fifty pieces as I tighten the larger nut that holds it in the panel.

What the hell? Garage is all heated up and now I'm stuck because unless I hardwire everything in which defeats the purpose. Hoping NAPA will give me some other switches or something. Pretty bullshit right now. :mad3:

So yea. Cool story huh?

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
sounds like you got the cheapest switches they sell

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sounds like you got the cheapest switches they sell
$6 each.

I'll head to Sanel's and see if those are any better. I didn't think this would ever be an issue. Its a fucking switch. Not a NASA command module. On. Off. That's it. :homer:

·
Green bastard
6,658 Posts
I use their metal toggle switches. Work fine for me.
Yup, got a whole string of the metal and a couple metal/plastic that are the same as kenworth only 1/4 the price. One is running two of my 100 watt 4509 spot backups with no relay and 20 feet of wire for almost 8 years that get 10 miniutes soild 4 times everyday. TG6139

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
196 Posts
dont be fooled by cheap switches, even if they did not break, there not sealed, so they would not have lasted too long anyways, its been a few years but they last time i wired a vehicle for a friend he spent around 20-22$ per switch, years later, miles of desert driving, and being hosed down, still going strong. you gotta get better shit my .02

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Go to any hardware store. I know Lowes and my TruValue at home has carling switches that are the exact ones that painless wiring repackages and doubles the price on. They are in the residential wiring section and are labeled as 3/4 hp pump motor switches most of the time. They are rated weird but are totally fine for 12v use. Like I said that's the switches you get from painless.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The Cole hersey stuff is mostly being made in China, now. 4 relays in 2 months... Junk. Where can I get some quality Mexican built stuff?

Ed

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Where can I get some quality Mexican built stuff?

Probaly only available in China

1 - 17 of 17 Posts