Pirate 4x4 banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
I've never purchased anything from Tom before, but I have swapped a few e-mails over the years, since 6 states days, and thought it was really cool how he took the time to chat with me about technical issues, U-joint strength, etc.

That being said, I would like to defend my choice of the RE SYE by responding to Tom's form letter.

Point 1: - there's nothing that says that one has to cut and tap the output shaft in the vehicle - I know many folks who opt to remove the shaft for the operation, either personally or by machine shop, and still save $$. That said - if you're somewhat mechanicaly inclined, it really is pretty easy to do it right, right in the vehicle, especially if you use a small cutoff wheel and use the trick of putting the tranny in reverse and turning the shaft while cutting. And - as someone pointed out, the precise centering of the bolt is not totally critical, it's actually a clever design.

Point 2 - this may be more of an issue for the later model 231 outputs, but for the earlier designs, I don;t see how the overhang is any more of a problem than in some of the other designs, like the Currie for example. The overhang on my '88 231 is very minimal, and certainly nothing to be concerned about.

Point 3 - Well, good grief, this is true of ANY splined interface of which there are probably dozens in your truck from axles into diffs, stub axles into hubs or slugs, tranny and T-case internals etc. Other than critisizing the material in the RE flange - this doesn't seem a valid critisism to me.

And from a big picture point of view, the anti-RE SYE just doesn't seem logical to me. If one was concerned that any vibe problem becomes a shaft problem to be personalized by the shaft manufacturer, wouldn't then, the shaft manufacturer have to inspect my suspension linkage, springs, ant-wrap bar design etc before agreeing to sell me a shaft ?? Dunno - Tom was good to me personally, but I never did get this stance.

I bought from Denny's because I have the RE, and I am totally thrilled with the shaft they semt me. Funilly, they only wanted to send me the 1 piece sealed U joints, but using what I learned from Tom I argued with the guy and they agreed to build my shaft with greasable U-joints. Ironic, eh!

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I had Tom build me a front shaft for my MORE SRS about a month ago. On my first run I blew my t-case, and spun the tubes of my front 30. I broke everything except my drive shaft. the only think that happened to the drive shaft was the u-joint caps popped off. I have talked with him many times and he has has been more than willing to take the time to help me take measurements and answer any questions that i have had.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts