Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 672 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tons underneath build. New owner.

I'm in the process of building a 87 x-cab with CUCV ton axles, 4.3TBI, 700r4, dual cases, All-Pro springs, BTF high steer, aluminum 17x9 Trailready's and 39.5" Iroks. This pic is from today, I'll post the previous pics soon. It's friggin to tall I know. All the suspension mounts are tacked in until I get all the truck together and see how it's going to sit, then I'll adjust accordingly. Right now the wheelbase is 106", but if you look it can be lenghtened about 7". Tell me what you think on the wheelbase or for that matter any of it. "Good,Bad or Ugly" I may have missed or not thought of something.
It's going to get a full exo and tube bed unless I can come across a good bed. Right now I'm just putting everything together to make sure it all works and then I'm going to take it apart and paint it all.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
106". I asked for opinions in the first post on it. Here in KY I do more tight woods with some rockcrawling and hill climbing. As I previous stated it can be moved back to about 113". It's just tacked in right now. I'm really not for sure what I want it to be. I'm looking for opinions.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I like the bling wheels!

If you're doing more of anything but rocks, I would leave it at that wheelbase. We do alot of real tight woods up here and my 4Runner cuts corners better than my buddy's ExtraCab. His longer WB makes him do 3 point turns alot where I don't need to. It looks like you have a good approach angle on the front but your shackle angle is all wrong. At ride height you want it about 20° towards the back. If those are new springs they might settle but it still looks like it would be too vertical.

In the rear, it looks like it's sitting good. The only thing that might give you problems is getting hung up on the shackles going backwards. Otherwise, good work.

Sean :cool2:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SamiFlyer said:
I like the bling wheels!

If you're doing more of anything but rocks, I would leave it at that wheelbase. We do alot of real tight woods up here and my 4Runner cuts corners better than my buddy's ExtraCab. His longer WB makes him do 3 point turns alot where I don't need to. It looks like you have a good approach angle on the front but your shackle angle is all wrong. At ride height you want it about 20° towards the back. If those are new springs they might settle but it still looks like it would be too vertical.

In the rear, it looks like it's sitting good. The only thing that might give you problems is getting hung up on the shackles going backwards. Otherwise, good work.

Sean :cool2:
The springs are new All-Pro's and it's just a rolling chassis right now. I know the frts. will probably need moving they suck right now. The rrs. are just for mock-up(flat bar with multiple holes). Thanks for the input and wheelin info.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
zooker said:
106". I asked for opinions in the first post on it. Here in KY I do more tight woods with some rockcrawling and hill climbing. As I previous stated it can be moved back to about 113". It's just tacked in right now. I'm really not for sure what I want it to be. I'm looking for opinions.
If it was mine I'd probably split the difference.Just my opinion...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fo-runna said:
If it was mine I'd probably split the difference.Just my opinion...
Yeah, I put it there to see what it would look like after doing alot of searching and reading here, but I didn't want to cut the the rear frame rails until I was sure. Everyone wheels different terrain on here and I hope to get more opinions along with yours to help me decide. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fo-runna said:
It's an awesome looking rig that's for sure. My nephew wheels a stock wheelbase xtracab just fine. 3 inches back wouldn't hurt you a bit.
It would probably help if the truth be known. It does look alittle different the way it is, but looks don't make her go.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Rear frame rails and Frt. wheel wells

As usual I had to replace the rear frame rails. They are made of 2x3 and 2x4 rect. tubing. They have a 1/4" flat bar welded to the top at the frame end and drove up inside the stock frame 12" It only has a temp. crossmember in it for now as you can see. I used RE joints for the rear shackle hangers(mock up shackles on it in the pic). IFS rear is no longer there,14 bolt now.

Tubbed the wheelwells back to the cab mounts.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Zooker- looks good.. the wheelbase is fine i have the same thing 106 but 36 iroks. Most say its to short but it actually in the 100 to 106 range where you want to be at.

Dan

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wild_yota13 said:
Zooker- looks good.. the wheelbase is fine i have the same thing 106 but 36 iroks. Most say its to short but it actually in the 100 to 106 range where you want to be at.

Dan
Thanks, I've kept up with your build it's a killer itself.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OOP'S said:
Looks good, if it were mine I would go 110-112 WB, but that is coming from a guy that wheels a 123" WB rig!!!!!:flipoff2:
That's my biggest issue right, what to do. I'm thinking of running it like it is for awhile. I've been reading about link set-ups and will try it on the rear after wheeling it some and making sure I've got enough info to do it. At that time I'll have a better idea of what I need or want. After all I'm running a Sammy now which is way shorter. Thanks

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update

I've not had alot of time to work on it the last few months. I finally got the drivetrain to the point that I got to fire it up last weekend. The salvage yard engine sounded good. Now back to the grindstone. Thanks to Crash, Toy2 and others that gave helpful info to this point. I'll get more pics up when I get the chance. I'm finishing the upper fan and radiator mounts, fuel cell mounting and trans crossmember this weekend hopefully. Hopefully it will move under it's own power shortly.

·
Registered
85 Posts
looks like it will be a good machine, I would adjust the wheelbase after figuring how tall you are actually going to be, go with a tube bed bobbed slightly in the rear with an angled tailgate to keep that nice approach angle you got.

a friend told me this right before I started my truck for the first time and drove it out of his garage and over/thru his couch.

What do you get when you put a chev. engine in your toy? A Toyolet

good build man, looking forward to seeing the finished product in action!

1 - 20 of 672 Posts