Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 672 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
SOUTH SHORE 4X4 said:
looks like it will be a good machine, I would adjust the wheelbase after figuring how tall you are actually going to be, go with a tube bed bobbed slightly in the rear with an angled tailgate to keep that nice approach angle you got.

a friend told me this right before I started my truck for the first time and drove it out of his garage and over/thru his couch.

What do you get when you put a chev. engine in your toy? A Toyolet

good build man, looking forward to seeing the finished product in action!
Thanks, I'm getting pretty anxious myself.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Update

Finally got to spend a little time on it. Engine runs, Autometer custom cluster done, HAD rear shaft in, cage for fuel cell 3/4 done. I'll get pics as soon as a buddy brings the camera back down. Alot to go though.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Steering

Guys, I just finally got to welding and conforming the frt. steering. I've got a cucv 60 and with the steering at full lock in either direction the factory stops on the 60 like about 5/16" of hitting the stops. It might be closer to 1/4", but still. Is this normal and how can I get more. The box is at full lock, but am I overlooking something? I'm sure the front is mounted square and I've been all over this thing wondering what I can do to achieve that extra bit of turning radius. Thanks again.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Get a custom longer pitman arm made?
That's the only thing I could think of. I appreciate the info. I'm sure several others have done this and wondered what they done. CRASH and any others that have done this what did you do? Thanks again MT4runner.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Got a little more work done. Got the console about finished and seats in. I know the console is probably overkill, I just wanted something different. I got a set of Bilstein coilovers off a guy here a few weeks back and I'm going to undo everything I've done to this point and link it frt. and rear. I'll never get this thing in the woods. Part of it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Thanks alot for the pic help.

Thanks for the compliment, I still have to get another shift boot for the frt. shifter and I'm looking for something to put around the Pro-stick also. You wouldn't believe how much time I've got in it. It was the first piece of work like that I had done with the bender.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Truck looks sweet, I'll be mounting my 4.3/R150/dual cases this week and then the 60's and 14b in the weeks to come if my link JOINTS EVER GET HERE.

How far forward did you move the front hanger?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Truck looks sweet, I'll be mounting my 4.3/R150/dual cases this week and then the 60's and 14b in the weeks to come if my link JOINTS EVER GET HERE.

How far forward did you move the front hanger?
It's flush, it has all-pro springs(4") in the frt.

center console looks :grinpimp: Whats your overall heigth?
It's a tall 78", but in the previous post I'm getting ready in two weeks to pull all the leafs out and go coilovers. It's to tall for me.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Got a camera finally for Christmas, so I'll show a few more pics for the pic lovers. The fuel cell mount isn't done yet. More bracing to come and a lid to mount other stuff on to maximize space and protect the top. The Dash still has a few indicator lights to be installed yet.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Get a custom longer pitman arm made?
I checked with Sky on that. No go. He told me I needed his steering arms, that the ratio was correct for the 2 to correct my problem. Lets just say I got'em. Skys (Sky-Manufacturing) been awesome to deal with, I'm sure everyone knows that, but a guy like that doesn't get the kudos he probably deserves.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Back from the dead hopefully

It's been along time, but today me and a buddy hauled the truck to Tim at Bent Fabrications (builder of the conquistador in General forum) and we are looking at him building basically a buggy chassis and mounting the cab and doghouse on it. I want to keep the cab for the comfort and his chassis idea will be a cool custom. Hopefully we can make this happen soon and I'll post pics if we do. It should be pretty cool. This guy has some good skills and does great work. Look at his toyota chassis build thread in here. Cool idea.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Your project looks great, I'm sure it's gonna be even better with a new chassis under it. I can't wait to see pics of it. Holy crap!!!!!!!

Anyway I read where you used 4" All-Pro springs, but who's crossmember and front shackles did you use? I am looking for alternatives (besides making my own) to the Sky full width kit (nothing wrong with it, just looking for alternatives before I buy). Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
The front and rear is all All-Pro. It's all new and coming out shortly if you might be interested.

21 - 40 of 672 Posts