Pirate 4x4 banner

141 - 160 of 672 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Why not leave it low like that ? Looks sick !
He might... it's up to Allen. It depends on how much the belly drags... If it isn't getting hung up, I wouldn't raise it any. But it is only 17" off the ground right now, so I'd say with the 114" WB he'll want to run it a couple inches taller.

-Tim

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
it looks like the bed area may kill the departure angle, any thought on this?

besides that, great build! Awesome innovation :smokin:

Honestly I dont think it looks like it would be an issue as high up as it is... Mine isnt even bobbed and I barely ever have a problem with it. It looks like it'd be great for storage on longer trail runs without really sacrificing much departure at all.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
:smokin: build, looks as if teh length of teh bed is no problem, but teh lines make it look like it has rake and teh cab does not? Might be teh pics or my graphics?

Also teh front fenders need more trimming..... other than that? BA!!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Throw some triple bypass shocks on this bitch and desert race it! :flipoff2: Each update to this gets better, would be neat to see some bedsides on the rear just for kicks and remove them for the trail.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
it looks like the bed area may kill the departure angle, any thought on this?

besides that, great build! Awesome innovation :smokin:
Tim and I discussed the rear section and my big thing was that it looked proportioned to the truck knowing it may be somewhat of a sacrifice. After looking at it, I think he pulled it off really nice with no harm to departure. I've seen so many that looked funny to me because the rear tubing was really short compared to the cab length.

:smokin: build, looks as if teh length of teh bed is no problem, but teh lines make it look like it has rake and teh cab does not? Might be teh pics or my graphics?

Also teh front fenders need more trimming..... other than that? BA!!
I'm getting a new set of fenders and hood. I'm going to paint up both sets, SPARES. The originals had all the rust trimmed out before he got it, so he didn't have much to work with. The new set will be trimmed more proportioned to the axle.

I know, I screw that up every time.

I got a straight bed off an 85 if your interested. AZ truck to NO rust.
If we can work out some way to ship it here I'm in or just the bedsides and tailgate. PM me a number if your interested in trying to work a deal.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
On to that big hole I cut out...

We knew that the sacrifice in this build was going to be the body of the truck. And that big hole in the floor looks intimidating and is probably the scariest decision a home fabricator can make. I know I built a ton of stuff before I ever had the nerve to hack out a firewall in pursuit of better performance... The best advice I can give is to get out the sawzaw and cut that shit up. After it's out, you'll have no choice but to figure out how to cover it back up:D Even if your sheet metal fab looks like shit, your rig will outperform your buddies:flipoff2:

With the engine this far back, the best option for working on it was going to be through the cab. So, instead of building in a new firewall, I wanted to build a removable hump more like what's in a van. This way, if you need to pull the plugs after you've taken the fast route back to the bottom of the hill... hehe, you don't have to use foul language to take care of it.

To get started, I built in a "sealing lip" all the way around the opening... YES, this was a pain in the ass. but after it is in, building the cover isn't as bad.

141 - 160 of 672 Posts