Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought one of the popular shackle flip kits hoping to gain quite a bit of articulation and ride. But since it has arrived I have yet to get it installed because of the extreme cold weather here in Maine. I have heard alot of problems with axle wrap and broken springs and was wondering if there was an easy solution. I hope to be installing the flip when I install my new 1 ton axles in a couple weeks which brings another possible problem...the rear axle is locked and will cause more wrap.

I am by far a suspension expert but it seem like if i could use a clamp like the shock mounts that MOO sells on either side next to the shock mounts and run a link from each one that would end up at a shackle over the tcase it would still articulate well but save my springs and driveline. Has anyone done this?

I looked at a few 1 link bars and they dont look like they would locate the axle enough to keep the springs from bending.

Any discussion on this is welcome! The more pics the better !

·
Registered
192 Posts
Locked rear axles won't cause any more axlewrap than you already have. I've heard of the 57" Ford springs breaking under extreme repeated flex, and even saw one break the other day. It broke on the main leaf at the rear of the spring pack. I've also seen them bend.

You didn't specify what rear axle you will be using. I'm gonna guess a 14b, but there's always that chance of you going with something else. If you go with the 14b, there's a company making this axle specific anti-wrap bars. It's called A-tron. They use a dual link setup attached to the pinion retainer and the diff cover bolts. A dual shackle setup is on a custom crossmember behind the t-case. All CNC machined and looks killer. I've read an article on it and it didn't inhibit flex at all. The only downside to the setup is the cost. At about $800+, it's an expensive but useful mod. You can find it here: A-tron

It may seem that 1 link isn't enough, but if built right and put in the center of the axle, it can work. In the end, you may just well build your own for your needs. Just keep testing it and it'll work itself out.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've got a shackle flip, 14bolt with 4.56's and a detroit locker, with soft springs and 400horsepower, and I never get axle wrap.
Phil

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Glad I could be a good example. I ruined a $250 d-shaft due to axle wrapalong with the pinion yoke. I am running 35s with 4.56s locked and 6" leafs/no blocks. I am also running a weak 350 putting out an impressive 150hp. But I do like to be stupid with the stupid pedal.

The designs that shaker posted in my thread seem like they would work the best.

Charlo

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I was running a very soft pack in the rear of my truck (4 soft long springs) using stock main leaf, ORD shackle flip pushing 44" TLSs. I had horable axle wrap that ate u-joints and broke the u-joint straps and bolts.

What I did was to put on a good leaf pack. I got an All Pro - 3" lift - 56" long - 9 leaf - 240 inlb pack that they market for toyotas. I fliped my shackle flip brackets from side to side inorder to acomidate the longer leaf spring (orirional was a 52" spring). After the leafsprings broke in the hole setup gave me around 5" of lift and over 23" travil!!! (now my shocks bottom out). But the best part is that I have no axle wrap!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear with the single link setups the soft springs are open to breakage

·
Registered
636 Posts
just a thought if you get into too much axle wrap you could always fab up some "slapper bars" untill you could get traction bars. Dont exactly know hopw well they would work onb a 4x4 but the 57 im working on i made them for $20 in about 20hours. May be worth a shot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts