Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay,
this maybe a stupid question, but every time i changed the rear flange off my tcase, i was losing fluid out the back. i though it may have been low from the loss of fluid, so i pulled the fill plug and it was WAY overfilled. so, i let it drain out, and then torqued the nut back on. my friend who filled my tranny and cases said they were not overfilled, (or so he thought) so i was wondering if the gear oil from another case or the tranny could have made it's way back. i know the seals are good, but doesn't marlin's adapter keep that from happening? i never though about this before, so flame away.

thanks, holley

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Did you check the tranny and see if it was low? That would let you know if the oil was making it from tranny to case.

Personally I feel the major reason for the W56 having failures is that the front bearing is not getting enough oil. I overfill by a good half quart through the shifter.

I also always nose down a little for the case as well.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Marlin's adapter does allow the fluid to run from one to the other t/c.

The way we fill the cases is to pull the shifter on the front case, and pull the fill plug in the rear case. Pump gear oil into the shifter hole until oil runs out the fill plug.

·
Registered
342 Posts
My tcase was doing this. Tranny was low on oil, tcase was overfilled. The output shaft seal on the trans was bad.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Your friend probably just filled it through the shifter hole all the way to the top.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts