Ok, here's the set up
Millermatic 175
.030 solid wire
Argon/CO2 gas shielded
in a garage (no drafts)
clean metal
lead connected to +, ground to -
3/16 plate

I am getting a lot of spatter from it, is there anything I should do? I've messed w/ the regulator on the gas and tried several different settings, I didn't know if i was missing something obvious

·
Registered
346 Posts
Sounds like your not getting the proper supply of gas to the tip or you may have the incorrect mixture of co2/argon. This happened to me when they gave me stainles mixture, nothing but splatter also, try anit splatter spray or past.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just checked that, its the right mixture, i put a new tip and cover on it, i turned the gas off to see if i was gettin anything, and it gets 10 times worse when i do this

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea, and i tried going up and down a little on each one in different combos, just experimenting w/ it

·
Registered
407 Posts
Try setting a power level and adjust the wire speed as you go. You should be able to "dial it in" and it should sound like a frying egg. I found the settings on my Lincoln to be just about perfect, I can't imagine that Miller would be any different. Make sure the "stickout" is right as well, IIRC you want about 1/2" of wire between the gun and the workpeice.

Sanity check, is the polarity right? I always forget which way it goes, I always run gas. :D

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
something obvious

is the metal clean or is it oily painted or rusty? Sounds like everything else you already mentioned

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
ECF said:
Wire speed to high or too low for the heat you are using? Heat at 5 wire speed at 7?
on my 175, with 35 wire, i know for 3/16 i use Heat 4.5-5 and wire around 30-35
Millers Rec's are way to high

·
Premium Member
10,658 Posts
Whats your reg.pressure set at? Should be around 30 psi if I remember right. Only other thin is make sure you wipe the steel down with brake clean or something as all steel has a lot of oil on it. I know that was kind of DUH! but you never know. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
Did you just convert from flux-core to gas?

You have to reverse the leads inside the cover of my "cheapy" when you switch to gas.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just get a tub of that Anit-Spatter gel that you dip the nozzle in, that has always worked for me. Make sure to check to see if you are getting enough gas flowing through there too.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
You know it's rare but you can have a bad bottle of gas... If the metal is clean, you are running the right polarity, the gas is flowing at 25-30 CFM and you have adjusted the arc till it sounds like frying breakfast material then you should checkout the gas. Is it a new bottle?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Mine sptters a lot too. I have used a lot of welders and this one just seems to kick out more than average.
Also for 3/16 plate I found the best setting for me to be 6 on speed and about 8.5 on Voltage.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Same welder, wire and gas. I usually dont get much splatter.

I tried some of that splatter spray you can weld through once and while it did not stick to the metal as advertised, there was 10x more of it. Not recommended. Dont remember the brand, but it was not the 3M stuff.

I do remember that the setting listed for the gas in the miller manual was a lot less that what the wire manufacturer recommended when I checked with them.

·
Registered
976 Posts
SilverZuk said:
You have to reverse the leads inside the cover of my "cheapy" when you switch to gas.
Did you check this........ it will make all kinds of spatter w/the wrong polarity.

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
Rock Taxi said:
Maybe you are holding the tip a little too far from the work?

Ed
This, wire speed, and the metal being dirty are my top 3 guesses.....I wouldnt guess it was the gas, if you have too much gas you will leave a brown stain on the top of the weld, if you dont have enough gas it will pit.

How far away from the surface are you holding the tip?

How thick of steel are you trying to weld? And what setting are you welding it with?

Take a pic of your weld and post it....that will show us a lot.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
I have been having a spatter problem too and I changed the wire and gas at about the same time so not usre what one it is. My guess is it is the wire and that is what I am going to replace first.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts