Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Spent some time making dividers for my open end wrenches. Keeps them grouped and they don't slide around when you shut the drawer. 20190118_152108.jpg

·
blatant asshole
12,112 Posts
I usually use the trays and packages the tools come in.

The one thing ive bought that i really liked was the wire rack for the pliers that stands them up on edge.

Other wise mag rails. Wrenck racks and socket trays.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
The more often I use it, the higher up in the box it is. Big/heavy shit down low for stability's sake. Beyond that I keep stuff grouped by drawer. Electrical diag stuff all together, electrical repair in another, drills/taps/dies all in a drawer together.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
drills/taps/dies all in a drawer together.
those get a box all their own
well, it's a flat file cabinet but...

lately I've been hating my current organization system
thinking on using a couple old 26" boxes my grandpa left me, one for inch the other metric, pliers in one, screwdrivers in the other, shit like that

ETA: that steel spring looking airbrake/hydraulic hose wrap makes great wrench racks

·
Registered
22,758 Posts
Spent some time making dividers for my open end wrenches. Keeps them grouped and they don't slide around when you shut the drawer. View attachment 2939382
Hmm. That might actually solve my problem. I have a ton of wrenches in my wrench drawers, and most of them don't really get used... Currently the organization sucks because all of the commercially available options are too space inefficient.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
The more often I use it, the higher up in the box it is. Big/heavy shit down low for stability's sake. Beyond that I keep stuff grouped by drawer. Electrical diag stuff all together, electrical repair in another, drills/taps/dies all in a drawer together.
This is what I do too.

For my 72" US General box, the biggest drawer is air tools and air tool consumables (rolloc discs, sander belts) because that shit is bulky. Right side small drawers have my nut and bolt collection loosely organized. Deep drawers on either bottom side have infrequently used cordless tools (left) and steel wool (right).

Can take pics if you'd like. Organization is always tough, never seems to be enough room for everything.

·
Registered
809 Posts
best thing i did to help finding tools was to put labels
on the drawers.

before i had to open all 17 drawers few times before finding right tool:laughing:
Hell yeahs

Use some magnetic tape and print off labels to keep the adhesive off the box and keep your labels flexible if you move locations

https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Magnetic-Tape-Adhesive-Projects/dp/B078SZLKRC

If you like a place for every tool, look in to some kaizen foam.

Mines a shit show, but all socket/ratchet, every size, SAE/Metric and related items are in one large top drawer, then a drawer each for:

• SAE wrenchs
  • Metric wrenchs
  • plier/pipe/adjustable
  • screwdrivers/nut drivers/torx/allens
  • punches/hammers/pry bars
  • cordless power tools
  • air tools
  • measurement devices
  • drills/taps/extractor
every other drawer is a catchall

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
The US general box has a position for a label strip in the pull handle of each drawer. Pretty convenient.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Some day I'm gonna copy the shit out of that for my sockets.
X3.... I am thinking about making a few out of aluminum. One for my truck bag and one for my toolbox.

As far as my organization I have a bunch of the harbor freight socket rails with the ball. They are pretty good at holding but in the cold they become brittle.

Wrench trays. I love tool rolls.

I would love to get a bunch of foam and shawdow box everything out but I don't have time or money for that.

I really need a bigger took box too... I am out of room and stuff is getting tight.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

Every drawer is labeled with magnetic labels. Use the Dymo to make custom ones. Drawer size kind of dictates what goes in it. I have 2 box head wrench drawers. One drawer is all metric. One right above it is all SAE wrenches. They are organized by size on wrench rails. I have all my ratchets and extensions grouped by drive size in a drawer. Drawer below that is all my 6 point sockets organized on Hansen trays. Drawer below that is my 12 points organized on the Lowe’s Hansen knock offs and my impact sockets organized on the same. One drawer is all my pliers and vice grips and such.

These are older pictures. The drawers are MUCH fuller these days but they are all I have available at the moment and should give you a bit of an idea of what I try to do.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
PSA! Bolt the fucking thing to a wall and teach any children the one drawer at a time rule! My kids are all over my garage, and they know the rules. It also sets a standard, someday they'll do the same fur their kids.

Steps off soapbox...

best thing i did to help finding tools was to put labels
on the drawers.

before i had to open all 17 drawers few times before finding right tool:laughing:
Rebuilding after a divorce, I bought 2 41" 11ish drawer husky boxes on blowout clearance, I cut up some rock auto magnets (mostly ugly dodges :flipoff2:)and put masking tape on them with
Air
Cordless
Metric sockets
Metric wrenches
Grinders
body
Pliers
Screwdrivers
Sae wrenches
Sae sockets

Etc

I moved them around some until I found what I wanted

I've rebuilt and picked up a ton of tools, and a lot of higher end stuff too, about time to reorganize altogether

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I have been organizing etc here lately. My 2 24" boxes were too small. I was going to buy a nice 72" then remembered I'm a cheap mofo. So I bought some pegboard, hooks and the little plastic thingys that keep the hooks from coming out. I got all this stuff hung up. Consolidated the rest into one box and gave the other box to my 20 year old son to start his tool collection.

I am also in process of cutting foam etc for the wrenches and extensions. I have racks for sockets and I will get socket holders for my drawer of duplicates.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
I got a new house last year and have been constantly reorganizing based on changing needs in a crap basement garage.

I've gone the pegboard and tool box route too. The stuff I constantly need to get is on the pegboard. I can easily see when kids or wife have not returned tools (compromise- the workshop tools aren't shared.) And it opened up have the space in the tool box by emptying the tools that were hardest to keep neat and organized.

I not the type to make my own foam organizers for each drawer (am I working or am I organizing), but this set up has made it VERY easy to grab things.

Things are different in my big garage which is where most fabricating happens. The good tools and specialized tools are over there, so no pegboard there. I want things in drawers there so they don't get dusty or confused with anyone else's tools in the garage.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts