Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok i need to get the tool to tighten down the outside bearing retainers on the rockwell centers.. anyone got a number.....i asked inland truck parts but those mofos cant seem to pull their heads out of their asses far enough to answer a question unless they have a part in front of them and i sure as fawk aint haulin that SOB up there!!!

also..my threads wont seam to line up to screw in said cap and it keeps cross threading.....anymore idears are appreciated,....thanx alot and merry christnas guys..

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
just make a tool real quick outta something, and lossen the bolts that hold the carrier in and the try to thread it, don't forget to tighten it back up though

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive been tryin to hand crank it in with the retainer bolts loose and it keeps slippin out or tryin to cross thread. not to mention the dont get anything close to bein threaded in as far as they used to. ive been using a big ass screw driver,....and my knuckles hate me for it...

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its supposed to be 175 ft ibs. but im not sure as to how tight i was managing to get it....bout as tight as a whore on sunday would be a good comparison.... :shaking:

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
You're going to have to get the threads started true before you use any tools. I use a prybar that fits between the tits perfectly...I just tighten them as much as I can by hand.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i guess im gonna go through the 4 bearing caps and see which ones fit what side of what center..i think the miss matching of parts may be part of the problem......thanks cj

·
Registered
646 Posts
The flathead prybar is the tool of choice. If you can't get the adjusters to stop cross threading you most likely have miss matched caps. Try setting the adjuster into the journal with the cap off, set the cap on loose, inset the bolts just enough to hold them in place, raise and drop the cap into place. If it does not go all the way down , you are cross threaded or missmatched. When you are moving the adjusters, loosen the caps and then run them back in till they just touch the cap, make your adjustment, retighten the bolts, check your pattern, repeat as necessary, install locks. If you can wiretie those ring gear bolts it would be a good idea, the holes in the bolts are there for a reason.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
drasko said:
its supposed to be 175 ft ibs. but im not sure as to how tight i was managing to get it....bout as tight as a whore on sunday would be a good comparison.... :shaking:

Where did you find the torque spec's for that axle?
I would be interested in seeing the rest of them.
I torqued the bearing retainers with a hammer and a screwdriver to exactly 175 lbs :flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
how many caps do you have to choose from? that is your problem.you should be able to set adjusters in case snug to the bearing. if you have the right cap for the right side, then start the main cap bolts, push cap down by hand until it seats. it should sit flatt without tapping it flatt with any tools.after that is figured out you should be able to take it apart and measure the carrier bearing bore for both sides and it should be the same on both sides.hope this helps

·
Registered
681 Posts
I've got alot of the torque specs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts