Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many Machinist's do we have on the board? Mold/Die Makers or Tool makers? Production shop or job shop?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
i worked for a small job/production shop for a while.. the production is what drove me away..

why? whats your question

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i worked for a small job/production shop for a while.. the production is what drove me away..

why? whats your question
No questions i am going to school for Mold and Die making, but am really liking the I dea of being a tool maker. Just seeing what people were doing and why.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
No questions i am going to school for Mold and Die making, but am really liking the I dea of being a tool maker. Just seeing what people were doing and why.
i wouldn't blow your load yet sparky... about 95% of the time your making some weird fucked up lookin part that doesn't look like it belongs on anything..

then you read the print and it has some gay ass hole thats -.0005 tolerance.:shaking:

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
I also work at a very small tool and die shop (around 20 guys), but we have lots of equipment. Lots of expensive shit, well I guess that is relatively speaking. I run the Mitutoyo CMM, Trumpf laser marker, I'm the shop polisher (we do a lot of die parts, so I do this alot), QC inspector, and shipping clerk. I will also run the machines when I have to. Basically you'd call me a bitch. I like the work very well, I'm hoping to learn a lot while I'm here.

EDIT:

FullsizeYota said:
then you read the print and it has some gay ass hole thats -.0005 tolerance.:shaking:
We just had our grinders finish a part for a customer that was 16.11425 +/- .00007 on the OD. :rolleyes: I held it in my arms for a while and it jumped almost 3 tenths.

·
F.I.B.
4,411 Posts
I work for Greenlee/Fairmont Textron. I run a moriseiki MH500, SH500 And an Okuma 35LBII. I love it but production work does suck. I just had 8 hours of lean training yesterday. 8 fucking hours in a dark room looking at power point presentations.

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
Er, molds and dies are tools for production machines, such as stamping/forming presses, molding presses, etc.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have 20 years experience machining plastics. And steel when i have to make a fixture or a jig or a truck part.
I have a 2 year degree in Machine Tool Technology and i don't regret it. Two of the local vo-tech schools canceled there machine shop programs due to a lack of interest. It seems the young people these days don't have any interest in machine shop.
It's hard to find good employee's that want to work in our field.
In my area we are a dying breed.
Where are you going to school?

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Jesus. did they specify a temperature at which it needs to be that size also?
Hopefully they specified 20.085678 degrees C :flipoff2:

0.000 070 tolerance on a 16" long part. So did the Engineer who spec'd the part get his degree last month? :flipoff2:

Note. Home machinist... 0.005" is good for me. :D

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
Hopefully they specified 20.085678 degrees C :flipoff2:

0.000 070 tolerance on a 16" long part. So did the Engineer who spec'd the part get his degree last month? :flipoff2:

Note. Home machinist... 0.005" is good for me. :D
I would assume STP, standard temp and pressure:flipoff2:

Home machinist here as well. If it fits and works, it's good enough for me.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I have 20 years experience machining plastics. And steel when i have to make a fixture or a jig or a truck part.
I have a 2 year degree in Machine Tool Technology and i don't regret it. Two of the local vo-tech schools canceled there machine shop programs due to a lack of interest. It seems the young people these days don't have any interest in machine shop.
It's hard to find good employee's that want to work in our field.
In my area we are a dying breed.
Where are you going to school?

I am going to school in Nebraska, but am from Denver. The program I am taking now is a two year machine course, with 6 months of either mold or die making. After that I might stay on for another degree in manufaturing Engineering or Electro-Mechanical.

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
I am going to school in Nebraska, but am from Denver. The program I am taking now is a two year machine course, with 6 months of either mold or die making. After that I might stay on for another degree in manufaturing Engineering or Electro-Mechanical.
You will be over-educated compared to most manufacturing engineers I've worked with. Too many of them don't know which end of a screwdriver to blow into.

·
Premium Member
9,331 Posts
I work for a highspeed preoduction company. Spend plenty of time in the tool room reworking parts that we get in and dont fit.

RIght now I am tooling up a machine and have yet to come across one station on it that all the parts fit correctly. This last station I have been working on for two weeks, every time I make the part closer to fitting/working I find something else that was overlooked.

I cant wait to give the set of drawning back to the drafting office and have every page marked up with the changes.

The kicker is we buy our tooling from our sister company in England, and its still not right.

Its fun at times but I would not want to be a full time tool maker.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I hope i don't step on any toes here but......I think that it should be a requirement that engineers spend a year on the shop floor before they become engineers. Some of the prints i get are unreal... Imposable to make...over toleranced....mathmatical error's.....it's written on a napkin.....etc, etc.
Some times they call up and say our quote is too high. So i ask what application is the part for, and give them a easier way to do it.
Don't get me wrong....i love my job.
I should of been a engineer.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
.I think that it should be a requirement that engineers spend a year on the shop floor before they become engineers.
Don't get me wrong....i love my job.
I should of been a engineer.
Amen brotha. 1/3 of my time is usually fixing/undoing things that some guy making 6 figures decided was good.

and for the record:
toolmaker check
die maker check
moldmaker check
CNC machining check

There is not much I can't do. I try to further my knowledge about as much as I can. I love the fact that no matter how much I know....there are still things to learn about. Each skill has it's own set of details to learn, and I've found that many types of shops generally "specialize" in a category.

I currently work in a small place that builds specific machines for customers application. 2 miles from home, my own world, 100% paid medical, and a very good wage. Me and my haas soon to be 2 haas. took a long time to have the skills to be able to "shop" for what I wanted using my guidelines. I could probably make a few more dollars, but money isn't everything.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts