Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I posted here regarding the barrel I received from Storm Lake.

Long story short, it was part of Remington's rebate program, get a SL barrel with 1911 purchase. My threaded barrel came in and wouldn't install into the pistol, the bushing wouldn't slide onto the barrel. I called SL and was told there is a 0.002" burr just on the shoulder of the threading preventing the bushing from sliding on. These barrels were machined for Remington and shouldn't require a fit bushing from SL. The tech guy advised me to just file off the burr and it will be good to go. He said I was number 4 with this problem.

What I figured I'd do is tape the threads then put a file on a flat surface and just lightly rotate that portion of the barrel on the file, checking for it and going slowly.

Just looking for any recommendation on the process or the file. For the file I figured just a very fine file would work, but didn't know if there was something specific.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Just my opinion but for something like that I'd probably lay the sandpaper on a sheet of glass or something.Just to make sure nothing gets out of whack

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I got after it this evening, went with the 220 grit and with a few minutes of work the barrel bushing would go on. During reassembly I encountered a bit of a problem.

For those of you who can't see right off the bat, it's locked up, the slide is not being held to the rear using the slide stop.

After looking over it a bit more, I noticed there is a low spot in the barrel, you can see it here, as it's not being touched by the sand paper

I ended up dropping the original barrel back into the gun and setting it aside for the night. I am at my wits end. I understand things are suppose to be a tight fit to be accurate with the 1911, I just don't know how much work I should expect for something that was "drop-fit" from the manufacturer. This was suppose to be a free barrel.....guess nothing is free. I am trying really hard not to let it sour my opinion of Storm Lake or Remington. Also, I don't know how to fix it. Do I just keep working it with sand paper until it works like normal?

It did look great installed.:smokin:

·
Premium Member
17,878 Posts
A low spot isn't going to be binding. Look elsewhere for the issue. I don't know shit about 1911's, so I'll let someone else tell you where to look specifically.

·
Registered
11,202 Posts
It's a 1911, "drop in fit" should mean "rattles like it's gonna fall apart if you shake it"

Take a sharpie, color everything, and then cycle the slide at the point where it binds a few times. Probably the inside of the barrel bushing binding on the barrel, as the angle the barrel passes through the bushing at gets greater the further back the slide goes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts