Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody got one of these things?

Just wondering if they work like they claim. I've got too many dull drill bits lying around, and I'm tired of buying new ones.

But I can buy an awful lot of drill bits for $150

·
Registered
497 Posts
I've tried one. They work if you go slow and easy. But do not use it if you want close tolerances.
:usa:

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
My dad bought one and it looks really well made. Even the video they provided is nicely done (so many aren't)

Unfortunately I have yet to see it work. The ol man is always buying shit and never using it. It's probably under about 8 months worth of mail order shit now. I will try to dig it out and use it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Bought it, used it, discovered it was crap, put it on the shelf.

It will be going away to Ebay soon.

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
I've got the 750 pro, and I guess i've had a completely different experience. It works like a charm, razor sharp bits in less than a minute.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
CoryL said:
Bought it, used it, discovered it was crap, put it on the shelf.

It will be going away to Ebay soon.
Sounds like somebody didn't watch the video :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Use a bench grinder... My father had one of those bit sharpeners years ago and it didn't work for @#%...

·
Registered
324 Posts
oldjeep said:
I've got the 750 pro, and I guess i've had a completely different experience. It works like a charm, razor sharp bits in less than a minute.
I agree, I use mine all the time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
got the pro model . works great read the instructions shrapen your bits and check them out with a magnafieing glass,you'll see there sharp if done correctly.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
no way in hell a bench grinder can do what this sharpner can do - hands down one of the best investments I have made. I bought the 500 and then later bought the upgrade kit with the other chuck, case, spare diamond sharpner stone, tray, and tool. 500 and 750 are exactly the same minus some parts that you can buy.

I don't know what you guys are doing that are not getting it right but it is a no brainer - my bits are tits :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
We wore ours out to quick (pro model). Bench grinder works a hell of a lot better, you can adjust your angles if you want a more or less aggresive cut. If you're an at home in the garage, don't use your bits too often kind of person, I'd get it.

Easy

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
KLF said:
Anybody got one of these things?

Got one for Christmas from my wife!! I havce about 50 bits in my toolbox that I am planning to sharpen tomorrow! I'll let you know what I think when I'm done!!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Re: Tool Tech: Drill Doctor

MD11Fr8Dog said:
Got one for Christmas from my wife!! I havce about 50 bits in my toolbox that I am planning to sharpen tomorrow! I'll let you know what I think when I'm done!!
Cool! Thanks for the comments guys! Seems like this is a good thing for a hobby/homeowner setup, but maybe not something for a heavy fab shop that does a lot of drilling. I'm not that good with a bench grinder, I've tried it, even with that jig thingy, didn't seem to work very well for me.

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
My wife baught me the 400 Journeyman for Chrsitmas and it kicks ass! Best tool I've got in a long time! Bit's cut like a hot knife through butter ;)

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I bought one a while back (the pro model) and I love it. It has paid for itself. Watch the video and a bit of practice and you are set.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I bought the 750 PRO model last year. I've sharpened 20-25 drill bits and have been happy with the results. Watch the video it explains everything.

Even a ricer can use this tool (upper 50% of ricers maybe)

Mike

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Ive got one of the lower end ones, I do larger bits on the bench grinder with some success.

If you don't follow directions, or are illiterate the Drill doctor would suck. :flipoff2: I havent watched the video, just read the nice directions they give you.

Mine works fine, sharpened a whole drawer of smaller bits in a couple of sessions.

I think I may step up to the model that does 1/2" PLUS.

mj

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I tried the 500 and it was a little slow but did a respectable job. I would have bought it if it was $30-40 but $80 was just too much when I can buy new bits for cheap. Never used the 750...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts