Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an elementary school level tech question.

I’m going to replace my axles and ball joints this weekend in my D30.

I just read through my shop manual and they have all these special tools in the procedure. How many of these specialty tools do I really need?
I’m going to try and do this without any, but I just wanted to hear what you all thought.

I have all the normal tools, a press, a big hammer and a torque wrench.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bummer, so I really do need special tools.

Thanks for the link, especially the second link! I think it will be very useful. I wish I had seen those ball-joints, before I ordered my parts! I could have used the extra caster.

I’m trying to decide what I can do this weekend without that press. I have a big hydraulic press, but it won’t work inside the knuckle.

Oh and Kieth...:jester:
You're just mad cause you broke your 44 so often.:p

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Harbor Freight ball joint press and the red case of attachments will suffice. This is a useful tool set that you will want, anyway. A long piece of 1" strap (like 4' long) will help you pound out the oil seals. Rubber mallet to pound the oil seals in. You don't need to do the seals but if you are taking the axles out it is only 4 bolts more to take the carrier out (mark the carrier caps to the right orientation for reinstall).
You will need a 36 MM 6 sided socket to take the nut off the axle (the one that holds it to the unit bearing). If you don't have one of these sockets and you wheel in the back country, please email when/where you wil be wheeling so I can avoid you on the trail :flipoff2: Seriously, that socket is a deal-breaker if you break and axle/ujoint on the trail.

SeanP

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sean,
Thanks for the input on the press. I had a wheel bearing fail on the way to the Rubicon, so we used the screw driver technic. Yuck, I didn't like that at all. It has held up for more than 5 years, so I guess we got it close. :D

It looks like I'll be making a trip Napa for the 36mm socket and a replacement washer.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far I have needed:
a friend to help
a big hammer
a pickle fork
a big screw driver
a few normal sockets
a 7mm allen -- metric in a Jeep???:confused:
a 1-5/16" socket
a dremmel tool to cut the broken axle yoke

and of coures 2 band-aids. :D

Tomorrow:
I'll pull the ball joints from the knuckles.
I'll need to get the right socket to put those locknuts back on the spindle.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
woohoo! I got the ball joints out with just a puller.
Things are going pretty well. Next I'll be pulling the carrier/ARB and replacing the inner seals.

I even had the sway bar tabs welded on, so I'll have a sway bar again. It has been 5 years, since I have had one. :D

I'll take some pictures pretty soon.
Later

·
Registered
979 Posts
You don't need the 36mm socket. :eek: All that is useful for is removing the stub shaft from the wheel bearing, so if you're doing ball joints just leave the works stuck together and pull the shaft with wheel bearing. Same with ujoints, if the stub's OK leave the bearing on, the extra mass makes the hammer work easier.

Damn newer D30's- the angle of the knuckle will make changing the ball joints a real SOB. The ball joint press kits have even-length press sleeves that only work if you shim them to push the ball joint in straight. Here's an extremely handy tool to have on hand, Specialty Products PN#41570. They fit the yoke correctly and make the job a lot easier, a few $$$ though. Works with standard VatoZone rental ball joint kit.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am replacing the axles, ujoints, ball joints, rod ends, and drag link, so I had to pull the axle all appart. Also I'll be replacing the inner seal. I'm not sure the translation to metric, but I found that the 2-3/32" socket fits the lock nuts pretty well.

Also this is on an 83 CJ7.

If I pull the carier, will I need to shim anything, or will it go back the way it was?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Oh, CJ vs XJ/YJ etc makes a BIG difference, the CJ joints come out with the knuckle. You know you can bolt 44 flattop knuckles back on instead, right?

The carrier will go back in as it came out.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I know the outers would work, and I have new superiour axles with 44 type U-joints, so maybe on day I'll make the change.

I wonder if the Dana 30 outer axles would work in a 44 spindle?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts