Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the same tradition as the Top Ten Tools List, I want to know what spare parts you carry on your Cruiser when you wheel. Mind you, this isn't the spare transmission and welder you take to the campsite, I'm talking about the spare parts that ride inside the truck. What are your top ten?

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Pair of BF's attached to thier respective axles,
Pair of driveshafts
Pair of rear axles
Pair of hubs, with studs, nuts, and cone washers
Lock rite
Set of the studs, nuts, and cone washers for the steering arms.
3 quarts gear oil, one brake fluid, one PS fluid
Brake clean, PB Blaster
Cheap old used electric fuel pump
Jumper cables
Yes I do get it all in my box on the 40. Plus a lot more I have not listed.
Butch

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
552 Posts
texican said:
Pair of BF's attached to thier respective axles,
Pair of driveshafts
Pair of rear axles
Pair of hubs, with studs, nuts, and cone washers
Lock rite
Set of the studs, nuts, and cone washers for the steering arms.
3 quarts gear oil, one brake fluid, one PS fluid
Brake clean, PB Blaster
Cheap old used electric fuel pump
Jumper cables
Yes I do get it all in my box on the 40. Plus a lot more I have not listed.
Butch

:flipoff2:

too cool for a spare tire?:flipoff2:

On a day run I would bring..

Tire
Birfield
steering knuckle (with all small parts)
hub
locking hub
extra leaf for my 3/4 eliptical ( dont 100% trust it yet;) )
ps fluid
gear oil
jumpers
jb weld

Dan

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
crawlin cruiser said:

too cool for a spare tire?:flipoff2:

Well I kinda thought that would be a given since pix of my rack & tire have been on here a bunch..............:flipoff2: :flipoff2: although with the TSX SX's I ain't never needed it

Butch

·
Registered
13,473 Posts
front axles/birfs
front drive shaft
radiator hoses
brake fluid, gear oil, motor oil
throttle cable :rolleyes:
tire repair kit

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
fullsize spare tire
newfield
inner shafts, both sides
lockout
heims for the steering
rear driveshaft
engine serp belt
usual fluids
front and rear u-joints

I've begun to lighten my spare list some from what it used to be....

at camp:
complete welded diff
transfer case
2nd rear driveshaft
rear axle shafts, both sides
leaf springs, 2 complete
more fluids and "big stuff" repair items

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
I carry driveshafts and that is about it.

My spare is on my trailer and I carry CO2 and a bunch of plugs.

Remember, unless you are going hours or days from the tow rig or base camp, DON"T PACK THE KITCHEN SINK!

Weight breaks! Especially when you put it in a huge Tuffy box on top of the 25 year old rear axles.

When you are trying to climb a hill and your front is light because of all the weight in the back, you just give it a little more gas....you start hopping and BAM!

Rear axle breakage SUCKS on a Cruiser!

BTW, be smart when wheeling as a group. EVERYONE does not need to have 2 birfs and short and long rear axles. Everyone does not need stock driveshafts.

Talk it out and don't overpack unless you are on some sort of expedition. In that case, you need to be careful of the types of terrain you are going over more than on a weekend wheeling trip.

·
Registered
363 Posts
BOTH SIDES?
No. You don't need both sides. I carry the passenger side as it seems to be the side that goes first. Although I haven't had to do it yet, I've seen a passenger side knuckle on the driver's side with the the brake caliper facing forward.
In addition to the parts listed above I'll add...

On long, multi-day trail rides (ie; Fordyce, Rubicon, Dusy) I carry a complete third member. Yeah it's heavy, but it is a lot easier to swap than just a pinion. As Nolan said you only need one of these per group.
spring pins
main leaf
Scrap angle iron for welding repairs

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And even on expeditions, the need for cargo space is so important that you never want to double up on unnecessary spare parts. One of the reasons most serious expedition crews run the same trucks is to narrow down the need for spare parts, there's usually a common pool of spare parts divided among the trucks and then each truck carries the absolute necessities.

It all boils down to the kind of wheeling you do; if you go on short, tough runs, then by all means, the need to carry enough parts to overhaul the truck on the trail isn't necessary, you just need to drag that truck back to the trailer and camp so you can fix it. Worst case scenario, it stays on the trailer and you take it home.

On expedition you don't have that luxury, if you break you *BETTER* have the parts to at least get back to civilization, and that could mean a 500 mile drive over rough dirt roads. That's another reason why people on expedition can't afford to goof around, there's no "oh, let's try to go over that steep hill over there instead of through the known route"...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
738 Posts
Let's see...I carry

1. A spare battery for my stereo remote
2. Vacume caps to fit over the built in water faucet so my water doesn't get trail dust in it.
3. Extra stickers (in case one gets scratched)
4. A can of lime green spray paint.
5. A can of satin black spray paint.
5. Control arms with heims
6. A spare birfield in case someone with me needs it.
7. A spare birfield in case someone with me needs it.
8. A spare birfield in case someone with me needs it.
9. A spare birfield in case someone with me needs it.
10. A spare birfield in case someone with me needs it.;) ;) ;)

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
proffitt'scruisers said:
Let's see...I carry

10. A spare birfield in case someone with me needs it.;) ;) ;)
You think this is funny, I have kept some parts in my bag for a Cruiser just because I know it breaks a lot and I wheel with a lot of Cruisers.

I know of a few times that I have small parts that others needed that would not fit on my truck (birfield seal, star washer, knuckle stud, Cruiser Ujoint)

When one of the "Birfield Boys" breaks, that means my ass is sitting on the side of the trail and the faster I get them running the more wheeling I get to do.

EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE LONGFIELDS IF THEY HAVE A FRONT LOCKER. Not just for you, for those of us that have to sit there while you fix your junk :D

·
Registered
363 Posts
This wasn't a joke...I really do carry extra birfs for other guys.
On club runs I still carry an old coarse spline birf in addition to my fine spline spares just in case someone needs it.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How many of you folks carry a spare pinion? Pinion nut?

I forgot to mention, a while back I ran across a super good deal on some generic motor mounts. Not the stuff I'd put on my Cruiser permanently, but good enough to get me out, and lighter than a section of chain that does the same function in a pinch!

A sturdy medium-size wire brush also comes in very handy, cleans all kinds of dirty electrical contact, can be used to scrape paint off for an emergency weld, etc...

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
I carry a complete 3rd on the tow truck/trailer at camp.
Lots of other stuff in the truck/trailer.
Way I figure if someone need it, my buds will have it back to me close to the time we are ready for it. At least where we wheel.
Another thing ought to be mentioned, if you are running something weird, a ford engine, or peugot axles you damn well best have the stuff to work on 'em.
Ford engine mentioned for Dogwalker

Butch:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
same with me Butch....by the time I have a rear end disassembled to replace a busted pinion, my spare rear would be delivered by someone else in the group.

Heck, when Spaceghost snapped a fitting on his ARB at the ProRock comps in Attica last August, we had my spare diff waiting, just in case we couldn't get it repaired...figgered a welded front was better than open for the comps.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Thats why I carry the Lockrite in the truck, since you can't install it in the 3rd first on the rear.
Butch

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
proffitt'scruisers said:
Let's see...I carry

3. Extra stickers (in case one gets scratched)
LMFAO

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I used to carry tons of stuff, but I finally got tired of loading and unloading it all before and after every trip.

This year I've got a plan, since the Rubicon is my favorite trail I'm going to go up there early and bury parts all along the trail and mark the GPS co-ordinates so I can find the stuff later.

I may even bury a whole spare Cruiser up there :D

It'll be like a Pick-n-Pull only I'll call "Dig and Pick", Reddog's Cruiser parts supply:laughing: :laughing:

Seriously though, I agree with Wngrog, be smart travel light and spread your spare parts throughout the group you are wheeling with.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts