Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i work in a shop, and the other day, the mechanics were changing ujoints out of a chevy, with a solid d44. instead of pounding or pressing the joints out, the torched em. they said the shafts metal was too soft to be pressed on. i would think that this high heat would distort/weaken the shaft. am i correct or is the torch the best way to get em out?

justin

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
you can gently heat up a shaft ear but if it gets too hot it will aneal itself and become weak and soft. Thats was their excuse they probly heard when they saw someone cutting corners

·
Registered
29,224 Posts
rokcrwlrtj said:
That just don't sound right :laughing:

Wow, I just reread that and you're right.

The sad thing is, I've actually caused damage to my weenis by beating. But that is a whole 'nother story, for a whole 'nother time. :emb4:

Back to your reguraly scheduled post................ :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I've had to torch out U-Joints before... once they get all rusted to hell in there, the easiest way to get 'em out is to cut the cross and drive the caps in...
Even then I've still bent the shaft ear once because of how rusted in the damn things were...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Some u-joints, instead of having a metal clip holding them together come from the factory with hard plastic that is heated and forced into the joint to hold it together and if you heat it with a torch when you are trying to remove it, the plastic will literally "snake" out of the joint, allowing you to press it apart.

·
Premium Member
3,961 Posts
I've seen it done a few times, usualy results in benting the ears in some..

I usualy just crank them down with my lil' 6 ton press, and if they won't push out, then heat them up with map gas, and hit the joint with a hammer a few times, never seen one that won't press out..

·
Registered
391 Posts
I've had to do this multiple times. I just cut out the cross and then torch a small hole in the center of each cap. They are very easy to press out with a BFH and socket after that.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
Lexox said:
Some u-joints, instead of having a metal clip holding them together come from the factory with hard plastic that is heated and forced into the joint to hold it together and if you heat it with a torch when you are trying to remove it, the plastic will literally "snake" out of the joint, allowing you to press it apart.
Yup.. mid-80's chevy's have this done to them from the factory..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts