Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Wolf,

I too couldn't stomach the price, plus I have a custom rear bumper on my PSD. Here's what I did, and I personally think it's a better design than the Torklift. Theirs is obviously made for less install hassle, but it only mounts to the bottom of the frame. On the Ford's, the rear of the frame isn't even boxed, which doesn't help to spread the weight.

I made 3/8" plates 18" long that were cut to go around the rear shackle and spread the weight on the frame. To these plates 2.5" receiver stock was welded. The 3/8 plate is welded on both sides of the frame, and on the bottom where the Torklift would bolt. My custom bumper has two 2" reciever tubes, one on each side, that slide in and out of the 2.5". I pull the two 3/4" hitch pins in the pic and the whole bumper slides out. This lets me get my camper closer to the cab for my Happi Jack tiedowns. The rear mounts also have frame mounted tiedowns, front I have bed mounts with a stabilizer bar. I pull the pins and slide in the extension in the next pic. It is a 4' one, the amount of stress on these things is unbelievable. I'm actually bending drop hitches now. I suggest you plate your actual hitch before you run into the same thing. The leverage will literally start to bend the 3/4" steel that holds the ball on. Just a heads up, mine is doing it after only a dozen or so trips. I personally don't like the chain, I'd rather have a solid tube extension to spread the weight. Chain won't spread the weight or load.

Take it for what it's worth, but try to spread the weight along the frame as much as possible. Top, bottom, sides, hit them all.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I just loaded up for the 4th weekend, and I'm not wheeling. I just left the bumper on. But when I tow, I pull out the pins you see above, there's one on each side. The whole bumper comes off with a tug. I then insert this thing into the two receiver tubes.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts