Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a regular old 404 ( not french ) are the front and rear torque tubes the same lengths?

What is the distance from the mounting flange on the tranny to the centerline of the wheel?

I'm playing around with wheelbase/motor possibilites on a tube frame buggy idea that uses mog axles with the torque tubes and a tibus t-case.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Mieser said:
On a regular old 404 ( not french ) are the front and rear torque tubes the same lengths?

What is the distance from the mounting flange on the tranny to the centerline of the wheel?

I'm playing around with wheelbase/motor possibilites on a tube frame buggy idea that uses mog axles with the torque tubes and a tibus t-case.
The rear tube is about 4 1/2 ffoot long, the front is about 15 inches, they can be exchanged front to rear I think as well as other model, never seen it done but think about it all the time, Killer or rye etc can shorten or make diff tubes and respine shats I bet, i want to put the stock motor in rear and use the stock t/c with 2 steering axles somehow. wish one of the tubebender guys could bring out a404 rockcrawler framethat used all mog stuff, thinkof all those rusty mogs being smashed in Germany that could bethe new wave oftube crawlers, slap a 404 on a tube and go wheeling! do not get your 1 question, please more details on what you need specs on. Good luck!

·
Registered
11,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the measurement.....

With that short of a front torque tube I bet the engine would sit way over the front end with my idea of using a common and cheap SBC, TH350, 203 box hooked to a Tibus T-case.

I wonder how it would be if I swaped the tubes front to back? I would think that the motor would sit almost too far back then?

Anyone know the measurements off of the shorter 106ish wheelbase French 404 Mog? With the wheelsbase 8" shorter I would guess the rear tube would only be just under 4' then?

The motor combo would be about....

np203 box is 6" long
adapter to the th350 is 1.5"
th350 is 22

That is about 29.5" to the bellhousing and a 350 is about 27" long. So that is 56.5" long total....

If the longer french tube is 46" long....then the centerline of the front axle is about 50" from the t-case mounting flange....so the front axle tube would be right under the front of the oil pan on the engine with a rear sump chevy pan.

That doesn't sound too bad. Other than the rear tube would be really short? Something about 29-30" from the t-case flange to the axle centerline.....

That could work with a jeepish cj7 front clip and put almost everything is a good place....

The engine would have to be offset 3.5" to the pass side like a mog too. Exhaust clearance on the pass side could be a problem with too narrow a frame. Anyone know how wide the stock mog framerails are?

Just thinking outloud...

·
Registered
187 Posts
404 framerails width are 30 inches

Do not think that t/c is really in production, never heard of it or got a reply or seen anybody running one, think it was an experment, might be cats meow? I still need help to see if one could make a tube frame with a rear or mid engine with the stock MB engine, I ran a 2000 sand rail in 2 wd that had a flipped over transaxle, it was great as mud/sand was not broken thru by the motor being up front and plowing like the 404 truck does. I wish there was a way just to put a covair or big porchse air cool to get away from water and cooling issues, then get a swing axle 404 mog diff and should be bomb proof, just need 150 to 175 hp to pull those big meats and clean them when gumed up. Make the suspension work and put a tiny pickup bed like the Hi Jumper sand rail where the rear engine cage becomes the exocage, I have to get some pictures if i can find them!

·
Registered
11,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the t-case can be built to order....there is a price, and it is a lot less than an atlas! The only bummer is that you can't do front wheel drive.

The only problem with just running a rear engine creation is that you have to worry about flipping the axles and stuff to get the tires to turn the right way....

Unless the mogs have an independent front/rear drive system? I know some of the bigger mogs have more than one rear speed?

I am going to do a tube frame for my creation. There is about 3-4 friends that want almost the same thing I do, so to make things cheaper we can buy some of the bigger parts in groups to get the price down. The main idea is to have a tube buggy with a v-8 and portals for a good price. We all wheel together all the time, so spare parts will work between most of the rigs.

There is no reason most of the frame can't be standardized. I plan on using the same engine/tranny/axle system in at least 3 of them. Most likely they will all get the same front clip also, just a cj7 grill and hood with some alum skins.

I just don't want the wheelbase to be the stock 114", a french mogs 106" sounds about perfect without rear steering ( cheaper )
I might have to just cut the long tubes.

Good luck on your project.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Good luck on your project. [/B][/QUOTE]
Do you have any rough fame designs, will it look like a slanted to the rear windsheild, El camino or baby truck bed box inrear? The thing is screaming to be done, I hate those mailbox designs that are coming out, I bet ina year somebody will have a reproduction that wheelers can slap on a truck 404 gear and a v8 or whatever, hope it is your gang and you sell a pile of them, i would like a mercedes grill and a weird trucky theme but bobbed with a bed,something a mercedes dealer could point to and say look it is a Mercedes rock crawler our dealership made from a 1959 404 mog and the newst model car ! good luck keep up and bend up some iron! I have some 406 diffs that i can notgive away due to in texas, wish somebody was tech enough to fabup a frame for them, are you guys using all 404 axles, anybody running high speed diffs or different gears in the portals, i just found out there may be a lower and higher r&p and final drive portals in 406 and 1300, guy is Jack Russel on mogmail list,he is a factory rep that knows more than anybody i have met so far and likes the useage of the MB parts, gotomogmail and hit him up sometime he rocks!!

·
Registered
11,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would like to keep it simple and just use a jeep nose, all uncut. I think with the full width mog stuff there isn't any reason to worry about building a narrow comp buggy. With 44s I think it will be about 88" wide total. A full width jeep hood and grill should be fine.

One of the requests from my group of friends was enough room to carry camping gear and/or a seat for kids and friends. I would like to keep the stock dimensions of the cj7 body, but just use skins. I am hoping that I can get the body centered over the tires instead of having the wheelbase gain to 106" all in the rear. These will not be small comp buggies....but I would like to keep the height down. The main problem, as always with portals. Is finding enough room for uptravel on the front suspension. I am thinking of just going for about 5-6" with the less expensive fox air shocks. I may end up having to tilt the from of the engine up a little bit to do this....

I need to get some more measurements ( mainly the engine/tranny/203/t-case, but I am working on another new CAD model of this chassis. Here is a pic of my first try last year at CAD :) Its not too boxy....

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts