Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front two seats have belts. Do any others typically? What about straping in car seats? A motorhome could conceivably transport 4 people with 3 kids but how do you do it safely (read seat belts)?

Does anyone have any sources to information on this or faced the same issue?

Thanks

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts
Huh ??? Can someone please translate that post for me.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
he's wanting to know how to attach his kids' car seat to the couch in the back of a motorhome.

--no, most motorhomes only have belts for the driver and front passenger. children's car seats aren't meant to be mounted in any but forward or reverse position, so sitting them sideways on the couch is a bad idea.

--solution? beats me. I just throw my kids in the floor with the uno game and tell them to have at it. they'll kill each other before we get where we're going and I don't have to worry about wrecking the motorhome.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Thats kinda the beauty of a RV.... your kids and passangers can walk around while you drive.

But the RV's I've looked at had "dinning" room tabes with bench seats (that sat forward and backwards) that have seatbelts......... Look at other class C's??

*edit= bench seats not couches :)

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Some of the larger motorhomes have small table behind the passenger with a single seat and turn the passenger's seat around to sit at the other side. Those seats are available with seatbelts.

I've also seen seatbelts added to the dining area.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
My class A Winnebago has a lazyboy style recliner chair (hard mounted to the floor) directly behind the front passenger seat. It can be rotated forward and it has seat belts. We would turn the seat forward and then buckle in the car seat. We also have a booth style kitchen table and both bench seats on either side of the table have belts. My oldest daughter usually sits there and colors or plays games while we go down the road.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
SuperRanger said:
I figured it was not safe to mount them on a side facing couch. I am looking into the feasibility of a moterhome because we are expecting children. If there is no good way to mount some car seats, maybe I need to consider something else.

Thanks

where there's a will, there's a way... I have seen that some of the newer motorhomes have the captain's chair/swivel seats in some configurations that do have the seatbelts. Our motorhome is based on a '78 dodge, so it wasn't that big of an issue then to the manufacturers. We purchased it used in nearly new condition before our youngest was even a twinkle 5 years ago. Spent $4k on it with 38k miles. Gets comparable gas mileage to our Suburban but we don't have to set up tents or pay for hotel rooms. It is definitely worth having a motorhome if you plan on doing a lot of travelling, especially with kids. We're lucky enough to have ours stored at our house as well, so it comes in handy as a "spare bedroom" for guests or when the kids have friends sleep over.

When the baby was born, we'd just sit her in the infant carrier leaning up against the doghouse between the front seats. You might consider something like that, and putting anchor points to the floor for the new "cleat" style child carriers.

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
my motor home 83 class a has seat belts on the side mounted sofa and on the swivel rockers. my old motor home 81 class c only had them on the rigid seats at the kitchen table

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
It varies- I had a 98 class C that had them in the bench's at the dining table. My toter does not. You could call a couple toter dealers or RV dealers and ask them if they are available with a new unit. When they say yes, ask them about a retro kit.

Someone of your talents could fab something better than any dealer could anyway- just replicate the geometry from a car. You could even make a subframe that pinned in or something or receiver it to the floor. Put some type of SFI sticker in case anyone in blue ever asked about it- though a hundred says they won't.

The guy who will work the hardest to answer this is the guy who thinks you're about to buy an RV from their dealership.

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
Our Coachmen Class C has lap belts at all 4 positions of the dinette, and I think 3 on the side facing couch. All of them are burried underneath the seats since no one actually uses them, but they are there.

Dallas

·
Registered
144 Posts
my brother and i just picked up an 87 25' bumper pull. we plan to carry 4-5 people in the thing on the way the charlotte for the coca cola 600. seatbelts didnt cross my mind for them. but ill be driving so the hell with it. theyll prolly be sleeping the whole way anyhow. but as far as kids are concerned, id figure out a way to strap them in. with a bunch of mid-late 20 year olds its different than it will be with kids. i like the idea of figuring out a way to anchor a car seat on the floor, that sounds like itd be ok. maybe make up a braket to accept the car seats base or however they work, i never used a carseat....no kids yet

edit: what about a quad cab pickup and a bumper pull, that way you could strap the carseats in the back of the truck and tow the camper??

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
MattyL13 said:
edit: what about a quad cab pickup and a bumper pull, that way you could strap the carseats in the back of the truck and tow the camper??
I'm guessing that would make transporting the Comp buggy and associated equipment to and from events a little tricky. BTW, dunno if this is true in pennsyltucky but here its illegal to ride in a trailer unless its a 5th wheel and you have radio communication with the driver.

Dallas

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
StinkBug said:
I'm guessing that would make transporting the Comp buggy and associated equipment to and from events a little tricky. BTW, dunno if this is true in pennsyltucky but here its illegal to ride in a trailer unless its a 5th wheel and you have radio communication with the driver.

Dallas
5er's are legal in about 1/2 the states with radio communication, bumper pulls are illegal everywhere.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess it is a case by case basis. Sounds like we could find the space in a moterhome but I think toters are a little more custom. We are going to have 3 new team members this season and need a plan. :eek:

Ken - I have thought about fabbing a bracket for car seats on the floor. That would not be hard, but my first thought is that a car seat should be in a seat and not rigidly mounted to the floor. Maybe I am overthinking this.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
In an impact the inertia on the kiddie seats is trying to send it out the windshield (sorry for the graphic visual) pulling against the lap belt and tether. IMHO, the only thing a seat does is compromise your ability to tighten those devices securely.

When I used to design repairs for Jet engine parts I had a saying for discussing the integrity of a repair "I'd put my family on the airplane"- I think it applies here as well.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
SuperRanger said:
I guess it is a case by case basis. Sounds like we could find the space in a moterhome but I think toters are a little more custom. We are going to have 3 new team members this season and need a plan. :eek:

Ken - I have thought about fabbing a bracket for car seats on the floor. That would not be hard, but my first thought is that a car seat should be in a seat and not rigidly mounted to the floor. Maybe I am overthinking this.

I have to agree with the overthinking. How many kids you planning on carrying anyhow?

Look at is as if you were adding a seat in your buggy. the framework and padding is already there, the kids don't need any extra. I've yet to get a carseat to stay in place well on top of a padded seat that didn't need to be adjusted every trip.

I don't know what kind of carseats your planning on using, but my daughter's newest seat has the tether over the back, as well as a strap that runs through the "lap belt" with the tether clips at each end. Our Element came from the factory with all the right mounting points, which are really nothing more than hardened "square" u-bolts built into the seat. Once the belts are tight, that thing won't move at all.

·
Registered
60,133 Posts
You're going to the RV industry... an UNREGULATED industry with a history of poor quality control and design, looking for safety devices, that I assume you will want to work adequately enough to safely keep someone in their place in the event of an accident.

Bad idea.

First... ask yourself

1) if the seatbelts are in a dinette... how well is the dinette booth built, and where do the seatbelts mount.

2) if the seatbelts are in a sofa... how well is that sofa built, where do the seatbelts mount.

Given what I know about the RV industry, I wouldn't worry about seatbelts anywhere else except captains chairs up front. Even those could be sketchy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts