Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me know if you guys would be interested in seeing the build thread for my new truck. I have been on pirate for a long time and have received a great amount of information. Just thought I might give back.

Specs.

1993 International 9200I single axle tractor.
Engine 3176 Cat
Trans Fuller 9 Speed
16' Living space
Keeping the fifth wheel plate

I am building this to go to KOH and I run the WeRock and Rrock series. Trying to make it a multipurpose hauler that can take 5 rigs across the county and stay comfortably, or just load mine on the back and head to a WeRock event.

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am thinking of doing the same thing with a c6500 truck that I have. Maybe not as big but very similar. Keep the pics coming.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
what kind of trailer will you be using to haul five rigs? Since the RV space will be in the toterhome portion guess everyone is on their own for accomodations?

cool build man, keep us posted.

·
Registered
589 Posts
DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH WORK YOU ARE GETTING IN TO!!!!! Just asking, because I do! :shaking: But I will be watching, NOW GET TO WORK. :grinpimp:

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is not done yet. What you see in the pics is how far I am. I will be hitting it hard the rest of the week. I found a few more parts today including a 1 year old fridge for 500, a rooftop air for 100 and a stove/oven for 30. For this year, or at least before KOH, it will be just the basics. Hopefully I will have time to add some finishing touches before rock crawling season. (So Tom doesn't make me look bad when I go to Rrock) Here is a picture of the trailer I will be using. It is a 48' Trail King hydraulic dove. In order to haul 5 I will have to build a lift on the front, where the drop deck starts, so that I can drive one under the other. We don't have a dedicated plan yet on how many rigs are going so I might just haul 4.

Tom What is the wheelbase on your toter? When I mocked mine up I was nervous about the length but then I found the one shown it is way bad and alot longer than I am going.

I will try to update progress as I go, but work overtakes me sometimes. We are slow right now so it is a good time to let money catch up and build a toterhome.

Keep posted and ask some questions if you want to. It always helps me work through things I am thinking about!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
585 Posts
With 5 rig and a big sleeper are you going to be pretty close to your weight limted for a single axle truck

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No to worried about weight. With a single axle truck you can run 32000, 12000 on the steer and 20000 on the drive. Then with the tandem on the trailer it is legal @ 34000. This gives a grand total of 66,000lbs. I am going to estimate the truck at 21500 loaded with water and fuel. the trailer is 14000, and 5 rigs @ 4000 each is 20000. This gives me a gross weight @ 55500. The other nice thing is with the trailer being a hydraulic dove, the axles are alot more forward than most other trailers. This will help transfer some weight to the trailer axles keeping the tractor light. Its nice when you start talking semi!! If I could hire a crane @ KOH we could just pile some more rigs on top :grinpimp:

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
That finished truck you posted is absurdly long even without the trailer. I think the biggest motorcoach you can get is about 46' and they usually have a steering tag axle, and no trailer (especially not a huge one). Yours will probably be hard enough to get around as it is, THAT one must be borderline impossible.

·
Registered
585 Posts
No to worried about weight. With a single axle truck you can run 32000, 12000 on the steer and 20000 on the drive. Then with the tandem on the trailer it is legal @ 34000. This gives a grand total of 66,000lbs. I am going to estimate the truck at 21500 loaded with water and fuel. the trailer is 14000, and 5 rigs @ 4000 each is 20000. This gives me a gross weight @ 55500. The other nice thing is with the trailer being a hydraulic dove, the axles are alot more forward than most other trailers. This will help transfer some weight to the trailer axles keeping the tractor light. Its nice when you start talking semi!! If I could hire a crane @ KOH we could just pile some more rigs on top :grinpimp:
It sound good to me. Did I say this thang is bad ass

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Heck, one of those lifts like is on the trailer would stack rigs as high as you would want them !!!:D
You sure got some real values on the appliances !

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nothing like an HDT for towing!!! I just bought a Volvo for a tow rig cheaper than if I bought a LDT, insurance is also cheap. It already has a 16' box on it which I'm going to convert into a living quarters. Keep in mind when building it the length laws which are around I believe 65' total length.
Check out this site under RV Tools for a spread sheet to figure out your axle weights..... http://www.rvnomad.com/ another good site is www.escapees.com under the HDT forum.

Keep the pictures coming!

1 - 20 of 211 Posts