Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to start a totoerhome project of my own.
94 F-700 + 24 foot uhaul box.
I did a search several times but came up empty. And I rememeber someone mentioning using a roof coating from lowes on thier toterhome but just cant find it.
Anybody have any reccomendations on what to use for heat reduction (along with a A/C ) ??

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
there is a coating called Snow White that my ex father in law used. Also have a friend that used it on a camper.. it can be put on with a brush,roller, or a bed liner spray gun..

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I am about to start a totoerhome project of my own.
94 F-700 + 24 foot uhaul box.
I did a search several times but came up empty. And I rememeber someone mentioning using a roof coating from lowes on thier toterhome but just cant find it.
Anybody have any reccomendations on what to use for heat reduction (along with a A/C ) ??
they have the roof coating at the lowes in Barboursville

·
Registered
14,457 Posts
I think HyDesert means SnowRoof.

There are a few different brands, but basically you are looking for the white elastomeric roof coatings.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I put the Kool-Seal from Lowes on my camper to seal the roof, I also put it on my enclosed trailer I had just becasue the metal roof on it attracted so much heat, before the Kool-Seal you couldn't touch the inside of the roof on a sunny day because it was so hot, after it was only warm.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks that last one was the name i had heard in the past.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I put the Kool-Seal from Lowes on my camper to seal the roof, I also put it on my enclosed trailer I had just becasue the metal roof on it attracted so much heat, before the Kool-Seal you couldn't touch the inside of the roof on a sunny day because it was so hot, after it was only warm.
x2
I picked up a mid '70s camper with a roof filled with pinholes and patches, it was either replace the roof or try the Kool-seal. I put down about 6 coats(less than 2 gallons) and there is now about a 1/4" rubberlike layer on the roof. Reflects the heat well, acts as an insulator and makes it about 500% quieter in the rain as well as killing a lot of vibration from the rooftop AC...oh yeah...no leaks either:D

·
Not a Wenzelite
36,696 Posts
Really? :eek:

I'll have to check that out. I've insulated the roof of my UHaul toterhome with 2" of blue board between the ribs. It's helped a lot with solar heat gain in the summertime, but it's still not perfect. I don't have any leaks, so I had never really considered adding anything.

I don't have a ton of need for a/c in Montana, and maybe only use it for 2 weeks at my house in late July.....but on a very warm summer day camping, it will get over 80ºF inside the Toter.

It adheres pretty well to the aluminum, then?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Really? :eek:

I'll have to check that out. I've insulated the roof of my UHaul toterhome with 2" of blue board between the ribs. It's helped a lot with solar heat gain in the summertime, but it's still not perfect. I don't have any leaks, so I had never really considered adding anything.

I don't have a ton of need for a/c in Montana, and maybe only use it for 2 weeks at my house in late July.....but on a very warm summer day camping, it will get over 80ºF inside the Toter.

It adheres pretty well to the aluminum, then?
I scuffed the roof with a scotch pad and blew the dust off with leaf blower...so there wasn't much prep:laughing:

3yrs later, still is good as new...it pretty much puts a membrane over it from one end to the other, so unless you stab it with a rambo knife, you're good to go, I've had several branches land on it that would have otherwise F'ed up the roof pretty well I think.

I'll see if I have any pics

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
My camper roof is fiberglass and the person who had it before went over it with tar where it leaked so I scraped all that and washed it and that was all the prep work I did and it's still good going on 5 years later.

My enclosed trailer I didn't even do anything to it, I just had a couple gallons left from doing my camper out of the 5 gallon bucket and was standing on the roof of my camper and got the idea so I just took the ladder over and slapped a couple coats on it and it's still going fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts