Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 101 Posts

·
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I rolled the bitch last month and took out both outer fenders, driver's inner fender, hood, header panel, grill roof, and winch. So much for all the work. It's gonna be a long winter.
-Jon
LOL that sucks but It looked great.:D

·
Registered
380 Posts
Mr David Taylor said something about my rig being large and heavy... After a run at the Rock Garden :)

So I started taking shit off...

Started my tear down this week. This thread inspired me some.

·
Premium Member
1,663 Posts
Mr David Taylor said something about my rig being large and heavy... After a run at the Rock Garden :)

So I started taking shit off...

Started my tear down this week. This thread inspired me some.

Wow I had no idea my words had such meaning. What if I say you should
send me a hundred bucks. :D

All kidding aside. Being as light a possible has always been at the top of anything I do to my rig. You will notice every Pound you take off.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I wish getting a hundred was that easy.

Between the front and rear bumpers, rear windows, and a few other parts it is definately noticeable. I may be running back to Kartek for some new springs...

Thanks for posting the pics earlier in this thread..

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
I rolled the bitch last month and took out both outer fenders, driver's inner fender, hood, header panel, grill roof, and winch. So much for all the work. It's gonna be a long winter.

-Jon
Damn, Jon, when you said your shit was broken, I didn't know you meant totally fawked up!

Did you post pics on URF that I missed? Pics, man, pics. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
409 Posts
I don't have any real tech to add since this isn't mine, but I thought the pictures might still be helpful:

I know the front was narrowed after these pictures were taken. I'd have to dig to find recent photos though.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Good thread. Glad I found this finally. See lots of dovenosed XJs here and I'm digging how everybody goes at it a little bit differently. Here is my 94 ZJ. Has been dovenosed a while but is back under the knife for new axles, tires and suspension..

Here is where I cut- looked hideous at first

·
Registered
3 Posts
ok so me and my buddy have never seen a dove nosed cherokee here in southern oregon so the other day we were talking about dove nosing it....and i had an extra header panel laying around and we eyeballed about how much we wann take out and its gonna be 9 inches on both sides and after cutting the header panel down and re fiber glassing it together it look pretty cool and is 41 inches wide total....im just curious what the best way to go about cutting the inner fenders is going to be....should we cut them out completely and do some crazy cool tude work or should we map out a way to cut the factory inner fenderwell but the reason i am opting to cut it all out and do tube work is im going to be moving the axle forward 3 inches and i will have to relocate the spring mounts and ect...so any input would be pretty cool and i did look at all the ones that have been done im just asking for some input from the expierenced ppl that have already done this....also im contemplating doin a full hydro steering to avoid having to move the steering box...unless anyone has input on that...

·
Registered
3 Posts
also i forgot to mention its a dana hp44 and 38's that i am going to swapping in there....i got the 9 inch in i just dont want to dove tail it yet i wanna try the dove nose first

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
ok so me and my buddy have never seen a dove nosed cherokee here in southern oregon so the other day we were talking about dove nosing it....and i had an extra header panel laying around and we eyeballed about how much we wann take out and its gonna be 9 inches on both sides and after cutting the header panel down and re fiber glassing it together it look pretty cool and is 41 inches wide total....im just curious what the best way to go about cutting the inner fenders is going to be....should we cut them out completely and do some crazy cool tude work or should we map out a way to cut the factory inner fenderwell but the reason i am opting to cut it all out and do tube work is im going to be moving the axle forward 3 inches and i will have to relocate the spring mounts and ect...so any input would be pretty cool and i did look at all the ones that have been done im just asking for some input from the expierenced ppl that have already done this....also im contemplating doin a full hydro steering to avoid having to move the steering box...unless anyone has input on that...
Crazy cool tube work for sure!

Billy

·
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Start your own build thread, post pictures and ask questions once its done post the dove trail pics in here.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I don't know if this qualifies as dovetailed but here is mine. It an 87 2 door thats been beat on a bit. While it was in the garage getting the frame plated at the steering box again, I decided to clean up the body some.

before:

Removed 6" from each wheel well between the quater panel and inner structure (the seem in the middle of the wheel well). Then pushed in the quaters to the bracing/frame. Opened the wheel well arc and welded them up. The roof is still stock width. Before the quaters were about the middle of the tire. The quaters are now behind the tires with stock width axles. With 33's and 3.5" of lift there is roughly 12" from the tire to the body. That should be enough room and work nicely when I swap tons under it.

parts cut out:

after:

·
Registered
14 Posts
guess its cool to bring this back?

wasnt sure if i should post this here or start a new thread. eh, i dunno. here goes. NOT DONE YET.. but im here now... so this is what we get.

have the front done too, ill have to get some pics.

21 - 40 of 101 Posts