Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Poseur SUV
23,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure there are a ton of tips and tricks for improving fuel delivery on your Chevy powered 4x4, from carburetor mods to computer chips to stand alone fuel injection systems. Lets hear what you've done or what you have questions about!

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I run a Chevy 421 stroker SB with Propane induction and NOS. I like the propane over EFI because I don't have to deal with electronics and sensors, it's very simple. I use a Impco Model E regulator and Impco 425 mixer with a NOS Pro Shot system on a Victor Jr. single plane manifold. I built the engine with 10.5 to 1 compression to help with the power loss of propane and hardened exhaust valve seats for the higher exhaust temps. I used an MSD box for a more complete burn seeing that propane has a higher flash temp but a longer(slower) burn time then pump gas. The muti-spark MSD setup work great for this.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Um, I turned my q-jet around 180* on the manifold to allow for better uphill fueling. Required a longer fuel line, and longer throttle cable.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I use a TPI TECH harness to install 91 vette tuned port on my 383. Now I have to remember to turn off te truck when I roll onto my side.
Phil

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
Part numbers and prices to run a carb on a 4.3 Chevy V6.

Edelbrock Performer manifold:#2111 $185.95
Edelbrock Performer 500 cfm carb: #1403 $275.95

MSD Pro Billet distributor: #MSD 8597 $269.95
uses a 6 or 7 series spark box
MSD-6 Offroad Ignition: #MSD 6470 $212.95
Add a coil of your choice.

All prices are right off of the Summit website. Jegs was four cents higher on all parts.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
PYRO said:
I run a Chevy 421 stroker SB with Propane induction and NOS. I like the propane over EFI because I don't have to deal with electronics and sensors, it's very simple. I use a Impco Model E regulator and Impco 425 mixer with a NOS Pro Shot system on a Victor Jr. single plane manifold. I built the engine with 10.5 to 1 compression to help with the power loss of propane and hardened exhaust valve seats for the higher exhaust temps. I used an MSD box for a more complete burn seeing that propane has a higher flash temp but a longer(slower) burn time then pump gas. The muti-spark MSD setup work great for this.
What does a setup like that go for? There is a truck at U-pull it out here that has that on it. I thought about getting it, but I have no room for a tank. Do you have to build the engine to run propane, or can you just bolt it on?

Edit: I am running a stock Q-jet, nothing special, but...............my float bowl empties overnight. When I go to start it in the morning, it takes forever. How do I fix this?

·
Registered
8,884 Posts
I got tired of trying to make my Edlebrock carb work on hills so I took it off and put on a TPI system off a 91 camaro. It was not too hard, and I used all factory parts except the computer chip (flash prom I can re-program on my PC) and fuel lines.

It's actually a very simple system, even though I re-used the factory harness and ECM. If you can wire a stereo, than you can wire up an EFI system using a factory harness.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
motorhead72k5 said:

What does a setup like that go for? There is a truck at U-pull it out here that has that on it. I thought about getting it, but I have no room for a tank. Do you have to build the engine to run propane, or can you just bolt it on?
Roy's site will give you an idea on prices

http://www.propaneguy.com/default.htm

You can run propane on a stock motor but you will have a very slight power loss, increasing compression will bring the power on again. It will also burn the stock exhaust valve seats but only after about 40K miles due to the high burn temps of propane so hardened seats are a good idea but most people don't bother. Run a single plane manifold, the propane is already a vapor and does not need to atomize like liquid fuel so run it right from the mixer to the valves in the shortest distance, thottle response will be instant.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
motorhead72k5 said:
Edit: I am running a stock Q-jet, nothing special, but...............my float bowl empties overnight. When I go to start it in the morning, it takes forever. How do I fix this?
This is more of a band-aid, not a fix... electric fuel pump. My carb does the same thing, and when i turn the key 'on', I hear the bowl gurgling as it fills up... a couple quick stabs at the throttle, turn the key, and she fires right up.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
PYRO said:

Roy's site will give you an idea on prices
Thanks for the info.

Eskimo said:
This is more of a band-aid, not a fix... electric fuel pump. My carb does the same thing, and when i turn the key 'on', I hear the bowl gurgling as it fills up... a couple quick stabs at the throttle, turn the key, and she fires right up.
I never thought of that. That's a good idea, but I would like to know what to do at the carb to fix that.

·
Registered
424 Posts
One trick I've heard of is if your running an electic pump is to switch it off in offcamber situations and turn it back on when it starts to starve out or when your on level ground.

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
motorhead72k5 said:
I never thought of that. That's a good idea, but I would like to know what to do at the carb to fix that.

There should be a one way check valve of some sort. Sounds like you may have a leak somehwere. Are you running a mechanical pump? You might have a hole in the diaphram. Check you oil and give it the sniff test. If it smells like gas, you got a hole. You might also install a one way check valve somehwere in the fuel line.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
It could also be leaking from the bowl bottom plugs. People often have to put epoxy over the plugs.

I've got an '89 TBI transplant. Nice, cheap, and simple (for EFI) and parts available anywhere. Plus I don't have to track down fuel for refills like the LP guys.

·
Registered
95 Posts
i have the edelbrock 750 trash. runs great and makes lots of power. just as long as your on perfectly level ground. i have heard you can get an "offroad kit" for these carbs that makes them run a little better. but im holding out for the 2003 zo6 at the junkyard(yeah right)

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
drunkmarine said:
i have the edelbrock 750 trash. runs great and makes lots of power. just as long as your on perfectly level ground. i have heard you can get an "offroad kit" for these carbs that makes them run a little better. but im holding out for the 2003 zo6 at the junkyard(yeah right)
Yeah, a buddy of mine heard the same thing and bought one. Even with the 'offroad kit' the things runs like crap on anything nose up or down.

I have the Edelbrock Q-jet replacement, and it works GREAT! I have a TBI setup that I was going to use on my burb, but since I would have to re-chip it for the cam I was going to use, I'm just going to stick with this carb and sell the TBI. The Q-jet Edelbrocks rock!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I tried that Edel trash a long time ago. Hated it. Talked to Edel tech and *they* told me the off-road kit wouldn't cut it for rock crawling. Mostly it just stops some of the slosh and would keep it from dying going over a speed bump (which mine actually did). I returned the AFB clone and got a Edel Q-Jet. BEST CARB I EVER RAN!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I third the Edelbrock QJET. I had the Performer and it was a great street carb, but suckon the trail, even slow crawling would get it to hiccup if going on any inclines. The QJET on the other hand is a good running carb for me so far. Idles nice & low, and hasn't given me a problem on any incline I have given it. Idles where the performer wouldn't run when on the throttle. ;)

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Another vote for EDEL q-jet. The q-jet on my blazer will idle normal and start first crank at 75-80*. Maybe more, but I havent got the truck up on end yet.

Charlo

1 - 20 of 31 Posts