Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone post up pics or ideas for long travel shock mounts. Also any ideas for long travel shocks.

I'm looking at running the Rancho 5036's. They seem like a heck of a good shock for the price. They're 37.99 each from Summit.

From Rancho's site:

The world's best selling high performance light truck shock absorbers just got Longer. Now available, 34 and 36 inch extended length shock absorbers.
Available in RS5000 and RS9000X
Designed to have a true 34 or 36-inch extended length
34" extended length shocks offer 14" of travel
36" extended length shocks offer 15" of travel

Other good long travel shocks appear to be Bilstein 5150s which were received good reviews on this site. They're 14.53" travel shocks and are $89.00 each from most retailers.

Bilstein 5100's are about 75.00 each and are 14" travel shocks.

And then the better performing, and more expensive Kings, Sway-A-Ways.

Here are some pics of mounts:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
And I just found this on www.fordpartsonline.com

E5TZ18183A $11.60 list. $9.28 your price. :eek:

Can't beat that price. That's for the type of mounts listed above. There is also a newer style that is cast that I'm searching for info on right now.

Ryan

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
PJTPW said:
And I just found this on www.fordpartsonline.com

E5TZ18183A $11.60 list. $9.28 your price.

Can't beat that price. That's for the type of mounts listed above. There is also a newer style that is cast that I'm searching for info on right now.

Ryan
They came to me from atascadero ford, for anyone who is local to SLO.

Also, if you know someone, you can get them wholesale for about $5.50 ea.

As for the rear, i am going to see how much travel I can get by moving the factory shock mount above the axle, and cut up some 2" square to weld to the top of the axle.

We'll see if I can get enough down travel that way. (Figure it works on my yota, should work on the dodge too :flipoff2: )

Garrett

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Oh, and where are you mounting the front shock mounts? I wanted to mount mine right at the engine x-member for strength, but I have always seen the shocks leaning back on the frame (I am assuming it has to do with the direction of movement in the spring, with the rear shackle, but dunno).

I was also thinking about mounting mine where the old mounts were, but my frame is cracked there, and so I am thinking of somewhere else.

Though, the way I intend on re-doing my mounts are just like those braced ones, but box in the brace, and then put in 2 7/16" ID sleves for bolting it down.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't really decided where I'm going to mount them on the frame yet. I was thinking angled back slightly. With a short lift like mine there isn't much axle movement front to back.

My springs only lengthen 3/4" of an inch when completely flat because they have so little arch to start with. I'm only running about 3.25" of lift in the springs, and the rest if from my longer shackles. So my axle would only move half of that 3/4" of an inch.

I think a lot of people angle them back because of the steering shaft being in the way. I think I'm just going to order the mounts and shocks and then mock it up once I have all the parts.

Ryan

·
Premium Member
10,658 Posts
I too have issues with my front mounts because of the steering shaft. I'm using ford mounts too and angling them back. I'll take pics when I do it.
C&R Motorsports in the vendor section had a great deal on Bilstien's. I paid 75.00 ea for the 51/50's to my door.

The only diff between the 51/50's and the 5100's is the piggyback res. So now I'll be cool:flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
i'm planning on using the 15" travel ranchos with some A tabs on the inner knuckle(the C) and making hoops for dual shocks up front. in the rear i want to use a couple more A tabs where the stock spring pads are and another hoop up into the fenderwell/bed area. basically i'm gonna try to get the shocks mounted as far out on the axle and as straight up and down as possible. this way the shock has the most leverage to dampen the axle. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts