Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here I am, getting ready to go to JV, and can't find a trailer to borrow, so I am stuck either using a Tow Bar or a tow Dolly. What do you guys think about towing with a Tow Dolly? Also how do I get my truck up on there? It is a CJ5 with Widetrack axles unbder it and 37" MTR's. Should I just flat tow it? I already have the tow bar, just need to figure out if it is worth using the tow bar to get down there.

Dimitri

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
I *think* you might be too wide for the dolly... might wanna call and see what the width is...

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Dimi, no luck with the trailer? :( Mine isn't roadworthy to loan at the moment....

If you tow-dolly or flat-tow, can you borrow a set of street tires? That might be the only way to fit it on a dolly, and would sure save some wear on the tires... possibly worth the effort of changing them out.

IMHO, I'd trailer, drive, dolly, and finally, flat-tow, in that order... of course, I'm silly with driving, and enjoy the adventure.

Randii

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Randi, what shape is your trailer in? I would be willing to fix it if it is fixable in a day or so...

Dimitri

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
tow dolly straps suck - you can easily rig up a chain strapping system and a screw type load binder to work wonderfully.

My old tow dolly - I believe - had 78" between the fenders for clearance. I once pulled one of my CJ5's narrow track, 10" wheels and 33x12.50 MT's) from Nashville to Pensacola, FL using it.

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Randi, what shape is your trailer in? I would be willing to fix it if it is fixable in a day or so...
A day of heavy work... busted in half. :eek:

The short story is that it is a $270 Ebay purchase that I'm intending to fix over time... didn't realize that the welds were all bubble-gum stuck to the sides, with no penetration. For peace of mind, IMHO, every weld needs ground out and burned back in.

Not a short term project, Dimitri... sorry, man. :(

Randii

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
I'll take a tow-bar over a dolly if I can mount the 'bar to the rig.

I can back up a tow-bar, I can't with a dolly.

Tow-bar is lighter, dolly typically doesn't have brakes so it just adds weight.

Tow-bar is cheaper and fits in a corner of the shop. :D

·
Registered
821 Posts
I ahve towed my TJ with 32 11.50's both flat and on a dolly. The tires barely fit and the straps were just long enough. I can't feel the difference when towing and backing either is a pita if turning.

Daren

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Maybe we need to mention here that aside from a tow dolly having too short of wheel straps, lets not forget that a Dolly will at least give you some surge brakes to assist in stopping.
I have flat towed a lot, and only got comfortable doing it after I installed a Roadmaster Brake controller in my Rodeo. It's a air powered cylinder that is activated by the Motorhomes brakes. (It's wasn't cheap but worth the bucks for the amount of flat towing I did.) Before I put this on I got some good stains in the drivers seat in Tenessee.:eek:
Last year I dropped a valve in my Trooper in South Carolina forcing me to rent a dolly to get the thing home to Texas. I was sweating towing the thing that far but once underway I realized that the dolly brakes in fact added a great deal of security in the braking dept.
I know your only looking for one trip, but if it were me I think I'd look hard at finding out if it will fit on a dolly and use it before I'd flat tow it.

Just my.02 C

SSS Rodeo
Oh, and I now use a Turbo Dodge and a trailer with brakes and it's all more gooder.:D

·
Hophead
77,714 Posts
SSSRodeo said:
Maybe we need to mention here that aside from a tow dolly having too short of wheel straps, lets not forget that a Dolly will at least give you some surge brakes to assist in stopping.
I have flat towed a lot, and only got comfortable doing it after I installed a Roadmaster Brake controller in my Rodeo. It's a air powered cylinder that is activated by the Motorhomes brakes. (It's wasn't cheap but worth the bucks for the amount of flat towing I did.) Before I put this on I got some good stains in the drivers seat in Tenessee.:eek:
Last year I dropped a valve in my Trooper in South Carolina forcing me to rent a dolly to get the thing home to Texas. I was sweating towing the thing that far but once underway I realized that the dolly brakes in fact added a great deal of security in the braking dept.
I know your only looking for one trip, but if it were me I think I'd look hard at finding out if it will fit on a dolly and use it before I'd flat tow it.

Just my.02 C

SSS Rodeo
Oh, and I now use a Turbo Dodge and a trailer with brakes and it's all more gooder.:D
If you ever "need" a place to store your aluminum trailer I got ya covered :)

·
Registered
808 Posts
SSSRodeo said:
I've never seen a rental dolly with any brakes on them. But that may be just around here. Last year, I called every rental shop w/in 100 miles. None had a dolley with brakes. One shop did have a dolley with electric brakes for sale for $1000 however. I just bought a 16' trailer instead of wasting my time.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Joe_W said:

If you ever "need" a place to store your aluminum trailer I got ya covered :)
Aw Joe! You know there was a time....
But I've got 2 1/2 acres of vacant land now.
More room than I know what to do with.:D
The Baja is setting on the Aluminum trailer now. Looks like I'm going to get that thing running again.

That's odd TV....... I haven't seen one for rent that didn't have them on them. Now wether they work or not.... That's another question. The one I rented in South Carolina had surge brakes and it was well used. They even worked.

I dunno?

SSSRodeo

1 - 13 of 13 Posts