Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where should I mount these things, the truck weights some 11,000 as it sits loaded with tools and parts.

Im not sure where I would put them on the rear....

The bumper brackets sticking down might fold?
Maybe run a piece of 2x2 1/4 wall between the 2 then bolt the hooks on near the 2x2? question then is there is only 4 bolts holding them on, 2 on each side, should I put 2 more bolts in them?

Maybe I should post in newbie tech, but i dont think none of them newbie fellers seen a truck this heavy before :flipoff2:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,522 Posts
those bumper brackets wouldn't put up with any lateral stress at all. if you're going to be yanking on them in the arena of 10-11k#, build some reinforcement on the back side of those bumper brackets, and sandwich the frame with it. maybe X brace from side to side if anything will be very far off straight line, and then go for it.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JR said:

How's that heater work?

ask the old man, he uses it at the job, the shop has central air and a gas furnace in it.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
JR said:
Whatsha going to tow with the hooks? I'd say coming off the bumper brackets would be fine, as long as you don't get too crazy with what you're pulling.
How's that heater work?
I have a 115k version, it is freaking loud, stinks, and will probably give you cancer or something, but it works tits. Heating a 2-3 car garage doesn't take long, and then you can unplug it. Just make sure to crack the door to provide it fresh air. The smaller ones are quieter. $ for $ I'd say hard to beat (especially if you find one on clearance in the spring like I did. :D)

Pete

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tow hooks are incase he gets stuck at a job site...

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Dang.... way overkill, but is there any type of hitch available? With a 2" reciever just put in a "D ring" into the 2" section.

It looks like the metal holding the step wouldn't hold up to much more than the step, unless perfectly in line with the straight brackets.

To get to the frame, you're above the lower edge of the body work.

All I can think of is adding "hooks" into the frame, with a small opening in the body work. Not pretty, but functional. That or box in the end of the frame and BOLT a mini Pintle type hook on the other side of the box.... still messes up a clean step van.

Best advice... don't get stuck! :D Seriously look at "traction mats" that he could stick under the wheels to get moving.

Lots of weight, low traction construction site = tow hooks make sense (enough guys with 3/4ton 4x4 crew cabs to pull you out it you have something to attach to. Doesn't take much force).

Tom :usa:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts