Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully this has not been convered recently, but no search.

Need to redo the brakes on the towrig for a trip through the rockies. I don't want to have to worry about them failing on me. Pulling around 5K lbs.

brake pads:
Reccomendations? I think from what I have read I will get the best stopping power from metalic pads. I need to replace one rotor and turn the other while I am at it. Will probably just buy some loaded calipers and replace the front hoses as well.

Shoes:
In the rear of my 93 cummins the w250s have the same drumms as w350s, but they put 2.5" wide shoes in them from the factory. If you turn the drums you can put the 3" wide shoes right in. The larger bore cylinders also bolt right in.

Trailer:
I have drum brakes on one axle in good working order.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I would recommend AGAINST replacing one and having the other turned. Do one or the other. You want the rotors to match. For pads, I highly recommend the PFC Carbon Metallic from AutoZone. They work great and reasonably prices.

Can't help you on the rear drums. But if you can upgrade to larger shoes I say go for it.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I went with Raybestos Superstops with my Dodge and they fixed a lot of woes with my braking system.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, the PO let an outer pad wear down and it ate the rotor on the passengers side. The drivers rotor looks fine.

·
Registered
60,133 Posts
you still do rotors in pairs.

myself, I run ceramic brake pads in the front.

Cold braking power is slightly lessened, but hot braking power stays well beyond the point my rotors like it.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Rotors in pairs.

I run the PFC metalics from autozone. Do yourself a favor and don't buy your rotors from autozone though. I ran them on my ranger and went through a set of rotors every time I changed the pads. Picked up higher end rotors from napa and have been running them for 3 sets of pads now.

·
Registered
60,133 Posts
LCexplorer said:
I went with Raybestos Superstops with my Dodge and they fixed a lot of woes with my braking system.
I tried several raybestos pads:

Basic ones - burnt them up to the point of crumbling
Superstop - burnt them up to the point of crumbling
brutestop - burnt them up to the point of crumbling

None of them lasted more than 6 months driving 40,000 miles a year of heavy rush hour traffic and occasional towing.

My last attemp was the quietstop $80 (at the time) ceramic pads. They have been in there for 2-3 years now and showing no real signs of wear.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
For you diesel heads out there- hard to beat a good exhaust brake- I've got 80 k on my original service brakes.

A US Gear std dutyl is only about $700

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Go2Guy said:
For you diesel heads out there- hard to beat a good exhaust brake- I've got 80 k on my original service brakes.

A US Gear std dutyl is only about $700
ONLY $700, thats a big only.

I have considered one, but 11 months out of the year I am towing here in KS and don't have to worry about it as much.

Have been doing some reading on ceramic pads. They do not give as much braking force as metalic pads from what I have read.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
andyr354 said:
ONLY $700, thats a big only.

I have considered one, but 11 months out of the year I am towing here in KS and don't have to worry about it as much.

Have been doing some reading on ceramic pads. They do not give as much braking force as metalic pads from what I have read.
The number gets a lot smaller if you go through the hills/mts enough- when you can run down the steepest/longest and almost never touch your service brakes- what's not crashing or causing a crash worth to you? What's it worth to not have to replace your rotors and pads in the middle of the trip? Not arguing- but it's all relative and worth considering, most diesel heads will keep their truck a while and the US Gear unit is easy to move to the next truck when the time comes.

·
Registered
60,133 Posts
andyr354 said:
In my experience, they don't when cold.

Where they shine on my truck is when they get hot. They seem to grab better and not fade as easily. With the ceramics... I've been able to brake hard enough to cause black smoke roll off my front rotors with only a little to moderate brake fade.

With the other semi-metallic pads, same trailer, same hill... I was religious, I would have been praying that I'de stop when I hit the bottom.

(Yes, I've forgot to set my trailer brakes a few times)

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
http://www.usgear.com/dcelerator.htm

Is this the one you are reffering to? Something to think about in the future, but to many other repairs on the truck right now.
Looks like I would wan't to buy a 4" exhuast system firs or I would be bying another one later.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
andyr354 said:
http://www.usgear.com/dcelerator.htm

Is this the one you are reffering to? Something to think about in the future, but to many other repairs on the truck right now.
Looks like I would wan't to buy a 4" exhuast system firs or I would be bying another one later.
Yea, that's it- can also adapt up to the 4" brake on each side and do the ex later if desired- many stock sytems flow really well for mild bombing, but if you like the look ar the sound, go for it.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The stock system on a 1st gen has some verry restricted bends in it. They halfway flatten the tube around the tcase.

Any more input on pad brands?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts