Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 Powerstroke 4x4 and need new shoes. I am running BFG at's now in 305 diameter. Probably going to run 285's next.

What brand of AT in load range d is gonig to ride and wear as good as the BFG's?

The extent of wheeling this rig is fire roads and driving to the ski lodge but I do tow my rig to the trailhead.
\
Thanks

·
Registered
17,628 Posts
The mud grapplers are quite possibly one of the worst tires for a daily driven tow rig Ive ever seen. Ive driven on them with a jeep, and they are noisy as hell, and wear out in record time... I can't imagine how much worse the wear and noise would be on a big tow rig....
Scott

·
Registered
14,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Po' riggity said:
The mud grapplers are quite possibly one of the worst tires for a daily driven tow rig Ive ever seen. Ive driven on them with a jeep, and they are noisy as hell, and wear out in record time... I can't imagine how much worse the wear and noise would be on a big tow rig....
Scott
What would you run Scott ? I have been happy with the BFG and get great wear out of them but wanted to see if any other manufacturer had something better.

I drive this truck over 40 k per year so they must be smooth and quiet running tires that can handle the Texas and Florida summer heat.

·
Registered
17,628 Posts
I dont know what its like in the summer in TX and FL... but I know that my family has had great luck with mastercraft tires.. Id take a look at those.
Scott

·
Premium Member
8,606 Posts
I'm running Michelin LTX M/S tires on my 99 CTD, stock size (245/75R16E, IIRC.) VERY happy with them. Quiet on the highway, work great in rain, do pretty good in snow. What little time I've spent on the dirt, they've behaved nicely.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I just put a set of 6 Toyo M-55's in 255/85-16 on my 03 f350 dually and will see how they do, a little whine, but I already tone it out...

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I like my Michelin LTX M/S load range "E" I don't feel like a "D" rated tire has a heavy enough rating but, some are rated to handle more weight then others.

·
Registered
225 Posts
CJHeap said:
I have a 03 Powerstroke 4x4 and need new shoes. I am running BFG at's now in 305 diameter. Probably going to run 285's next.

Thanks
not trying to be an ass, but....

305 is the width, not the diameter.

305 means 305 mm wide. aka 12" (2.54 cm per inch)
a 285 tire is 285 mm wide (11.2").

the next number tells you the height of the sidewall. for instance, 75 means 75% of the width. so a 305/75 is 75% of 305 mm wide (229 mm or 9"). if your running a 16" wheel and a 305/75r16 tire you have 2 sidewalls at 9" each plus the 16" wheel for a total of 34" tall (9" +9" + 16").

saying your running 305's now but switching to 285's is about like saying you're running 12.50's now but want to switch to 11.50's.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
If you like the BFG why not stick with them?

Other options I would look at would be the Dunlop Radial Rover RVXT and the Toyo M-55.

My experience with the Michelin LTX M/S is that if you plan on spending very much time on gravel to avoid them. Not a bad pavement tire but there are better tyres around for the same price.

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you don't venture off the pavement, get an all season. If you do a little, the best choices would be the Procomp AT, BFG AT, or Bridgestone AT Revo.

I went with 305/70/16 Procomp AT's only because Summit didn't have the 285's in stock. I needed tires that day, since the crappy assed Durango ATs started chunking apart as I drove into Reno. 4WheelParts can suck my ass, so I went with Summit.

·
Registered
9,697 Posts
305/70R16 goodyear AT/S tires lasted just under 30k on my 1500 ram... no complaints... also perfromed well and looked good for an AT...

that being said, I've heard good things about the new discoverer STT's (friend has them on his old F250 4x4)... if you're not planning on offroading much, the S/T's should be an even better choice...

·
Here's Johnny!
1,582 Posts
I just picked up a set of 285/75SR16 D Yokohama GeolanderAT+2's

I like them so far, but have only put 1500 or so miles on them. They ride well and are not noisey. They do much better in the rain then the crap tires that were on there before. Wont know about snow until this winter but I expect they will do well. Seemed to get pretty good ratings on the tire websites I checked out.

The Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo was also a choice with an excellent rating. But I could not justify the extra $45 a tire when the load ratings where the same (3305#'s), the other specs were similiar and the warranties were not that much different. Time will tell I guess on whether its a decent tire or not.

·
Premium Member
25,817 Posts
I just put on a set of 315 Nitto Terra Grapplers. They have alot better wet traction that I thought they would and are nice and quiet. With a CTD I think any AT is going to be quiet though. I have only had it in a little mud and it did OK. Can't expect too much from a AT. So far I have 4000 miles on them and they are wearing good.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
40,287 Posts
sarvermr said:
so a 305/75 is 75% of 305 mm wide (229 mm or 9").

305's come in a 70% profile, not 75. That's why 305's & 285's (75%) are ~ the same height, as are 255/85's. They're all just different widths.

For 40,000 miles a year, I'd go with Cooper Discoverer LT's. Wear like iron.

TEX

·
Registered
699 Posts
I have 62,000miles on my bfg A\T 265\75-16. They are getting replaced this week, they are past the wear bars. They are on an 01 dodge cummins 4x4 quad cab with 1500lbs in the bed at all times. Very happy with the wear and no noise. I would like to try the 255/85-16 bfg M\T next and see how they last and how much the rpms will drop.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
You might look at Toyo M55. They have decent traction and wear like iron, but are a bit noisy on road.

·
Registered
14,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
rockis hopperis said:
I have 62,000miles on my bfg A\T 265\75-16. They are getting replaced this week, they are past the wear bars. They are on an 01 dodge cummins 4x4 quad cab with 1500lbs in the bed at all times. Very happy with the wear and no noise. I would like to try the 255/85-16 bfg M\T next and see how they last and how much the rpms will drop.
Mine have 42000 on them now and still have life left. I hope to be able to last through the summer and replace in the fall but I am trying to get my options.

My father runs coopers and likes them. How are they in the rain?

Procomp will run their 4 for 3 deal but I do not know how they wear and perform, any experience?

·
Premium Member
40,287 Posts
CJHeap said:
My father runs coopers and likes them. How are they in the rain?
The Cooper LT's are fine in the rain. Not much good in the slop, but not what they're made for. I would guess the Cooper AT would be great in the rain as they have REALLY nice rain channels & plenty of siping. But, since I've never run them, I don't know what sort of miles to expect out of those.

TEX

·
Registered
287 Posts
I got well over 55k on a set of BFG A/T 295's on my Excursion PSD which wieghs in at 8100#'s not towing. The 295's have the highest wieght rating in the Load D range and wore exceptionally well at 58+psi.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts