Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody towing big stuff with their mega-cab dodge? looks to me like the bed is too short not to run into any trouble.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
i dont own one but i am assuming it is the standard "short bed" that is available in there other cab configurations isnt it?

if that is so, than i have seen alot of people pulling toy haulers with short bed pickups.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
I have seen a few of them with dented cabs:D That's gotta hurt, especially when your truck doesn't even have plates yet.
Travis..

·
Registered
17,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think they're only available with one size bed; 6'4". and that's pretty short for hauling a toybox/5th wheel.

·
1962 YellowSubmarine
11,423 Posts
from what I understand it can be done, but you need a slider type hitch to not end up with a dented cab. I've read some good reviews on one of the auto sliders, but I forgot which one. I'll probably never know more cause I didn't buy a truck with a hobby bed :flipoff2:

:usa:

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Look for the SuperGlide 5th wheel hitch, or the HiJacker AutoSlide.

I like the HiJacker. Lots cheaper, and you do not have to modify the trailer's pinbox.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
from what I understand it can be done, but you need a slider type hitch to not end up with a dented cab. I've read some good reviews on one of the auto sliders, but I forgot which one. I'll probably never know more cause I didn't buy a truck with a hobby bed :flipoff2:

Got the Hobby Cab instead ?? :laughing: :laughing:
All smart assing aside. The mega cabs are nice trucks ! Had i of gone NEW with an unlimited budget id be rolling a 3500 CTD Mega Cab :D
JUst too bad they only offer it with the short box.. aka "hobby bed" as you call it..

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Yes, you need a slider hitch, or if you have a goose, you may want to get one of those hitch moves that moves the hitch about 6 inchs back.
My goose sits VERY close to the cab.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Heard some talk about doing it with a standard hitch but most say get the slider as with any short bed, I mean "hobby box"

When the time comes I will be getting the slider style for my Mega Cab.

·
1962 YellowSubmarine
11,423 Posts
Also just to note, there are extended pin boxes availible for 5th wheel pins that move the pin forward of the front of the trailer. I know "modifying" the box was mentioned at above, but I think they just bolt on.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
mega cad long beds do exist
just not from the factory

http://www.megacablongbed.com/
its looking like the conversion is about $6,500.00 from what i read
Now that's what it should look like. Why couldn't the people at Dodge figure that out? They finally make a cab that is big enough for people to actually get comfortable in like the Chevys and Fords, but then fuck it up with that goofy little shortbed with the cheesy tacked on looking dually fenders. I can guarantee you there's a ton of people in Texas and the southwest that want that exact truck in the pic, complete with cow killing bumpers front and rear. Way to go marketing guys!:shaking:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Now that's what it should look like. Why couldn't the people at Dodge figure that out? They finally make a cab that is big enough for people to actually get comfortable in like the Chevys and Fords, but then fuck it up with that goofy little shortbed with the cheesy tacked on looking dually fenders. I can guarantee you there's a ton of people in Texas and the southwest that want that exact truck in the pic, complete with cow killing bumpers front and rear. Way to go marketing guys!:shaking:
Probably a matter of not being able to find a parking Spot for the SOB :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Im guessing that setup right there wouold take two FULL length spots.. But it is in deed sweet and if two spots is what it means than dammit ill park in the booneys at wal mart.. :laughing: :laughing:

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
I've not seen the Hijacker hitch- but own and run the superglide- it's automated on a simple cam and works great- it is pricey, but cheap compared to limiting trailers to those with tapered noses the only "correct" alternative. slides the pin back 14" as you negotiate a corner- stays locked stright for about 15 degrees rotation in either direction.

The extended pinboxes or shifted back hitches will still let you eat the cab if you are not careful or in an accident avoidance thing.

I tow with my toter now- superglide is for sale, just have not ebayed it yet

·
Registered
17,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for all the replies guys, i do appreciate it! :beer:

ken, fo you have pics of both setups(the superglide and the toter)?

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
I'll get some of the SG, I only towed once to phx with it and a few local trips

Attachments

·
Registered
17,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
super sweet setup!!!!! thanks again.:smokin:

i'm contemplating a mega cab cause i do need a truck to transport stuff here and there and i do need to be able to tow a trailer with whatever i get. mostly to tow my rig to the trails and such. i am not using the truck as a "work truck" so the "hobby" bed does'nt affect me one way or another. i do want to make sure that i take the 5th wheel/gooseneck setups into consideration cause ultimately i'd like to get a toy hauler and/or a gooseneck 2 car trailer.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts