Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that California has tough towing regs, I was wondering if anyone got hasseled by the man.

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
No problems, kept it at 55 mph, had everything strapped down good, The roads are so bad you would not want to tow much faster LOL!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you were towing one rig? My bud and I want to go next year and pull two with one truck to cut cost and I was informed that CHP would be all over us. I don't know what the problem would be but we're talking about the land of fruits and nuts.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
We were pulling two rigs on one trailer and had no problems in CA. Now AZ was a different story. It was about midnight and we were 2 miles from winslow where we had a hotel room for the night and the tow rig poped a fuse which resulted in no running lights on the trailer. We passed two state troopers and got pulled over. As they came walking up to the truck they noticed the 2 big checks in the camper trailer and a stack of bfg's. They asked us to get out of the car and we all had BFG hats and sweatshirts on and they asked what the trophy between the seats was for. At that piont there was no denying that we were a race team and they asked for our log book, DOT number and CDL. We played stupid while they were on the radios trying to find a DOT officer but couldn't get one. They harrassed us for and hour in the freezing cold threating to impound the all the buggys and trailers and then finally let us go with a warning.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
We were pulling two rigs on one trailer and had no problems in CA. Now AZ was a different story. It was about midnight and we were 2 miles from winslow where we had a hotel room for the night and the tow rig poped a fuse which resulted in no running lights on the trailer. We passed two state troopers and got pulled over. As they came walking up to the truck they noticed the 2 big checks in the camper trailer and a stack of bfg's. They asked us to get out of the car and we all had BFG hats and sweatshirts on and they asked what the trophy between the seats was for. At that piont there was no denying that we were a race team and they asked for our log book, DOT number and CDL. We played stupid while they were on the radios trying to find a DOT officer but couldn't get one. They harrassed us for and hour in the freezing cold threating to impound the all the buggys and trailers and then finally let us go with a warning.
OUCH! At least you got let go

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you need a CDL because you were a race team? I heard in California a private citizen was required to have a CDL above a certain GVWR. Or is it required in AZ also.

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
I saw a bunch of non-ca legal tow setups out there... If you are from out of state someone posted DMV regs and you should be fine as long as it's legal in your home state.

Keep it @ 58mph-55mph and you won't get a speeding ticket, I saw numerous rigs pulled over for speeding on the way home.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
You had to know that Rick would be pissed that he didn't win:laughing::laughing::flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Unless your tow rig is registered to a company, your a private citizen and do not need a CDL. HOWEVER, some of those states may require it for a certain weight limit but there's a difference between " hobby " and " business " per the fed's so next time you know you don't need any of that no matter where you are.

If the truck is registered to a business then yes, the driver must have a CDL or medical card and a DOT number on the side etc. and has to adhere to federal DOT standards and rule's.

If everyone followed the same thing and the police all knew the same rule's it would be easy but some state's just make it to fawking confusing........

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Maybe you should get pulled over every year for good luck.:D

·
Premium Member
4,718 Posts
Nope not us... just NE of Atlanta I-20 to I-10 to the lake bed. we were legal in GA but way over for Cali...

a total of 25,650 lbs and we did 4,583 miles.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Nope not us... just NE of Atlanta I-20 to I-10 to the lake bed. we were legal in GA but way over for Cali...

a total of 25,650 lbs and we did 4,583 miles.
Those are some nice looking rigs,we would weigh in about the same, hell, my tow rig is even the same color. Wat kind of mileage did you get, that looks like a 7.3L.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just realized I was talking to the king, congrats on a great run, it's REALLY impressive to come from the LCQ and win it all.

·
Premium Member
4,718 Posts
Those are some nice looking rigs,we would weigh in about the same, hell, my tow rig is even the same color. Wat kind of mileage did you get, that looks like a 7.3L.
02 furd 7.3... afe stage II intake, Magnaflow 4" turbo back and a power hungry chip (just your standard 60/80/100 chip).

we got 8.6 going out and 8.9 back, except in Texas with the 40+ head wind we got 7.8...

i'm still hearing that diesel motor working in my head... :grinpimp:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
02 furd 7.3... afe stage II intake, Magnaflow 4" turbo back and a power hungry chip (just your standard 60/80/100 chip).

we got 8.6 going out and 8.9 back, except in Texas with the 40+ head wind we got 7.8...

i'm still hearing that diesel motor working in my head... :grinpimp:
Mine is an 02 also, bone stock, gets 10.1 pulling my jeep by itself, was wondering if all the mods would pay.

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
So you were towing one rig? My bud and I want to go next year and pull two with one truck to cut cost and I was informed that CHP would be all over us. I don't know what the problem would be but we're talking about the land of fruits and nuts.
I was towing a gooseneck with two rigs on it, about 15k. Towing with a 03 duramax, hypertech, 4" exhaust 4:10 gears and 35's. We kept it at the speed limit both ways, 50 hours out southern route, 44 hours back northern route, averaged over 10 mpg the whole trip, worst was I40 in AZ and NM got about 9, lots of hills and over 7000 feet of elevation, got over 11 in the flats.
I do not think we ever got a second look from any troppers and passed quite a few. We may have gotten there a little quicker if we went over the speed limit, but to save $200-300 in fuel and not tickets was well worth it.

·
Premium Member
4,718 Posts
Mine is an 02 also, bone stock, gets 10.1 pulling my jeep by itself, was wondering if all the mods would pay.

if i'm just pulling the green cj5 on it's car trailer i get around 12 or so. so to me it works, only thing i'm going to add is a bigger/better fawesomeness tranny kooler :eek:...

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
The only problem we had was all the snow/ice from the east coast hanging on the trailer wiring, pulling connectors apart and breaking wires. We got pulled over in missouri for having a tail light out by a state trooper that looked like he was maybe 15. He was super cool about it and just told us to get it fixed asap. No problems in cali. Towing setup is a dodge 3500 pulling a 30' gooseneck with my cj7 and xjcrawler736's xj.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts