Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually use my dad's HD, but I am really wanting to be able to tow with my 97 Tahoe. How well do you think it would do? I am not sure about how well it would stop... pull... steer...

Also, how long do you think it would take for it to tear the hell out of my drivetrain?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Tahoe (99 not 97)

I just did 20 hours towing a carson trailer with an 85 4runner on it. No problem. Used o-drive 70 % of the time. ;)

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
which motor? gears? I am kinda scared bout whether the front end is going to try and lift up on me when I am turning, and just skid across.

Any ideas on makin it beefier?

·
Registered
497 Posts
I towed my blazer with a 99 tahoe and it was spooky.
If you do it make sure you have good tires and a set of airbags would help out alot.
:usa:

·
Premium Member
40,287 Posts
Do yourself a huge fawkin' favor. Do NOT use overdrive AT ALL with a trailer attached regardless of speed. Downhill at 80 MPH? Drive, not OD. Even if the tranny isn't hunting, OD doesn't allow the engine to spin hard enough to flow enough fluid to keep the tranny as cool as it needs to be. You'll get away with OD a few times, but eventually you'll be rebuilding your tranny. Trust me, your 350 can take extended jaunts at 2,700 RPM's a LOT better than your tranny can handle heat. I had 150,000 miles on my '90 Z71 when I sold it. Spent a LOT of time towing in Drive at Interstate speed. Engine was as tight as the day it came off the line. Good compression, no oil use, plenty of power. Would have went through a LOT of trannies in that time using OD though.

TEX

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Towing in OD

In addition to what TEX said, when your tranny is in OD it rides on the gears differently and will wear it out quickly, even if your going downhill like TEX said...

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Tires and airbags already mentioned.

I towed with a 4.0 Ford Aerostar (I hear that laughing!). Uhaul trailer & small vehicle.... best improvement was adding Bilstein shocks all around. Helped reduce the sway of the van. If you can flat tow, or use a tow dolly, just helps to reduce the weight behind you.

I really love a 3/4 ton Crew Cab for towing, btw. :)

Tom :usa:

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My tahoe has about 152,000 miles on it. I had to buy a high mileage vehicle to be able to afford it, since I have to pay for everything, and I'm 16. I wanted airbags, so I had to get something '95 or newer. Wanted vortec if I was going to get that new, so it was '96 or newer. So now I am driving a '97 Tahoe, and I can't even tow the truck that I really care about, and I don't have a whole hell of a lot of money. Damn I'm a fawkin' idiot. I should have just kept my 10,400 and bought something cheap, so that I could mod the '78 more.

ANYWAYS... Ya'll think I'd be fine if I got some rear bags? I don't want to be mean to my poor little 10 bolt. What about 14sf?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts