Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone done this??

Thinking i might have to try. :(

gonna be hauling my jeep and a 16' flatbed.

thoughts? concerns?

:(

·
Registered
225 Posts
A few years ago I towed a heavy modified Jeep on a U-Haul trailer with a 1997 V8 5.2L ZJ from Phoenix to Salt Lake. It really wasn't a bad ride. It struggled on the big hill parts (was being passed by semi's at times), but it did the job. The rear sagged pretty bad, but the sway was very controllable. It did better than I thought it would have.
What engine does your ZJ have?

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Don't do it.

Seriously.

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
i have seen quite a few people tow with ZJs. what is so bad about towing with a grand?? is it to small, or is it lack of power??

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
I have a 97 ZJ V8 that i just bought and will be doing some light towing with. My main concern is the tranny. Rear end sag can be helped in several ways.
Sure its not a 1 ton diesel but it should do ok, if you are towing a vehicle brakes on both trailer axles are a must.

·
Premium Member
40,287 Posts
Vu14TJ said:
i have seen quite a few people tow with ZJs. what is so bad about towing with a grand?? is it to small, or is it lack of power??
In this case, the lack of power is a good thing. Will keep the speed down to a more reasonable level. Problem is you don't have the heft, suspension, & wheelbase necessary to tow very safely. You'll be okay until that one time something stupid happens (someone cuts you off, deer in the road, etc). Then, LOOK OUT!

TEX

1 - 7 of 7 Posts