Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just purchased a '94 grand cherokee limited with the 5.2L V8. this is replacing my '79 jeep J-20 with the 360/TH400/quadra-trac which pulled my 84 CJ-7 ontop of a car trailer like it wasn't even there. my question is what will it take to make this fully capable of towing my CJ on the car trailer without any rear squat and tranny problems. besides putting in a tranny cooler, will that be good enough or do you recomend any internal transmission modifications? or maybe even new diff gears? as far as rear squat goes would air shocks be ok or would a weight distributing hitch be the way to go?
thanks, any advice is appreciated
-justin

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
My wife has an 2002 Grand/Limited with the V8. I have been towing my heavy ass TJ with it on a 18 ft dove tail. Damn thing has completely surprised me on the amount of power it has. It is a little light for the job but does great IMO.

I dont have a Distribution hitch on mine but the squat is not bad. I am gonna get one though. The main thing you NEED is trailer brakes and you will be fine. Oh and put a cooler on your tranny if it doesnt have one.

HTH

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thanks a lot my main concerns were dealing with the chrysler 4-speed but everyone's telling me it'll hold up w/o using o/d and putting a cooler on it
-justin

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I used my old '97 ZJ GC to tow my YJ, it worked fine. The only issue I had was the damn rear track bar bushings would go bad it no time.

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts
Anyone have any success towing with a 4.0 litre?

I've got a 95, but I dunno.

Maybe an aluminum trailer or something would help.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
IndyCJ said:

Thoughts?
I got a buddy that tows his Willys with a Rubicon. He doesn't seem to mind:confused:

·
Registered
32 Posts
IndyCJ said:

Thoughts?
I tow my TJ with a '97 ZJ (4.0) and haven't had any problems. It also pulls my 21' pontoon boat in the summer months.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a 96 ZJ with the 5.2 and I tow my willys on a flat bet trailer it tows ok. The 3.73 seem to be a liittle high. But it gets me up steep grades with out a problem. Just remember to keep the OD off or you will burn up the trainy. To keep the rear suspenion from squating you need to balance your jeep more to the center of the trailer and it will get rid of that problem. Just don't have it to far back on the trailer where the tonge in too light.:D

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
-tranny cooler
-rear air bags with either the load sensor or manual controls
-TRAILER BRAKES

And just be aware of the limitations of that vehicle as a tow vehicle.

·
Registered
313 Posts
My '02 V8 WJ did "ok" till I got a tow rig. 16.5' trailer has brakes wdh etc. As others have mentioned, brakes & wdh are a big plus.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I used to tow with my 95 v8 ZJ. 16' w/ trailer brakes, sway control, load distribution and 6500 lbs.

I wouldn't recomend it. It'll surprise you, but the tranny and drivetrain arn't designed for that.

You'll realize why ZJ shouldn't tow the first time you hit a big rain/snow/wind storm or have to swerve to miss a deer.

For what it's worth, I now have a 3/4 ton cummins. Much safer and better for the vehicle.

Cody

·
Registered
2 Posts
Everyone always knocks the Grands because they aren't the "greatest tow rig in the world". The Grands were never designed to be a great tow vehicle. They were designed to be a great DD, that is fully capable of towing. In comparison, tow rigs are made to be "great" tow rigs, but aren't all that as a DD. It depends on what you want. The Grands will do fine as long as you use common sense with it. I don't think I would push a 6 cyl to tow another Jeep though.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
we towed my old tj on an aluminum trailer with our 4.0 xj, it did the job just fine though we only did that once, now i have an f150 for tow duty still not the greatest tow rig but better.

BarrelRoll

·
Registered
697 Posts
I towed with my v8 96 ZJ and the motor pulled fine. The problem was stopping power.

I was cutoff and stomped the brakes to the floor. The trailer brakes on both axles had just been serviced. But the Grand just couldn't get everything slowed down fast enough. Rather than make contact I swerved out into the desert and through a ditch. After we got the kids calmed down my wife commented that we should buy the Superduty I had been talking about.

Overall it was great. I just wouldn't pull anything over 4000# with it at highway speeds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts